Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my long hours affect breastfeeding?

Default Will my long hours affect breastfeeding?

I am due to go back to work at the first of the year. I have to work 12 hrs shifts so it will be something like 13 hrs before my baby can take the breast. I can pump whenever I have to so I am not worried about supply but will that many bottles in a day hurt our nursing relationship? I only work maybe one to two days a week so it won't be that often but I am worried babe won't want to take breast after that many bottles?

Default Re: Will my long hours affect breastfeeding?

Let's see...so Lo will be almost 12 weeks? It really shouldn't matter as long as you continue to offer the breast when you are together and pump to maintain supply and to have milk for baby. I started back at 7 weeks and we had no confusion issues.

Do remember to use a slow flow nipple even as Lo gets older.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I definatly don't think it will hurt your nursing relationship since you only work about 2 days a week. Your baby will get on a schedule, as mine did, where he knows when he gets the bottle and when he gets to be w/mommy!! Don't worry! When I had to go to work I would pump at the EXACT times that I knew my son would nurse that way my body would still know to produce at that time, and my husband would be feeding my son at the same exact time so we were in sync when I did get to nurse him....it worked out great....good luck
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

I am an RN and I work 12 hr shifts. I have found that throughout the shift my bottles would get smaller and smaller as I pumped. I tried as hard as I could to not work two shifts in a row. I co-slept, and used attachment parenting techniques as much as possible when we were together. Personally I found that those techniques of baby wearing and nursing frequently on cue kept me in sync with my baby at many levels.
    When I had my first baby back in 2002, I had a beautiful crib, bouncer, exersaucer, swing and great things to put my baby in to entertain her. The funny thing was that she never was as happy anywhere else than in my arms, in a sling or with my husband. So we gave up trying to put her in the things we had paid so much money for.
    Going through that with her was an eye opener for me since I never planned to co-sleep or have a family bed. But ideally I never planned to work as much as I had too either. My husband and I changed our minds about parenting when we realized that our house was quieter and our lives were easier when our baby was happy. My marriage and my love for my husband really grew when he loved me and the baby to the point of becoming a fully participating father day and night.
    My husband had to supplement a few ounces at times during months 3 - 5because I didnt keep up or had to miss pumping sessions. But we stopped after 5 m because she started eating some and she was thriving. She also did not like formula.
    La Leche League meetings gave me parenting answers that I couldnt get from my pediatrician or OB...and I have to say that as a medical professional myself, I was caught off guard philosophically. For example, my ped nor OB never told me practical ways to handle the "inevitable milk supply decreasing". They never recommended co-sleeping. Fortunately I researched the issue fully and came to conclusions that I have reached about our medical community and lawmakers as it concerns women and babies. http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html

This is my own experience and this may not be how it is for everyone but I can say that LLL has been the best supporter of me in my ability to breastfeed and mother to my fullest potential.
    Melissa, mommy of two breastfed girls
    http://sites.google.com/site/lalecheleagueoflewisburgtn/

How's it going being back at work? I work 12 hour night shifts as an RN, and I've been back since LO was 4 months. I was day shift until he was 6 months. He is 14 months and we are going strong. I never used formula, but my DH was able to bring LO in for lunches and some bedtimes after I went to nights. Once he was 12 months, we added rice milk (cow's milk allergy), but not very much. DH found other ways to make him happy a lot of the time, I think.

Working long, weird hours has definitely affected our breastfeeding. I am much more aware of the time I have with my son. I appreciate our nursing sessions a lot more than I did when I was home on leave. I'm prouder of myself than I ever thought I could be. My son is so excited to see me when I'm done in the morning, and he excitedly asks to nurse. I've never seen him take a bottle. He refuses them when I'm around, and we don't offer them anymore. Every baby is different, but the bottles did not hurt us.

Hope it's going well. Keep us posted.

Stephanie
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!