Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

Default Re: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

I just have to say I am so impressed with all of you relactating moms! However things turn out for all of you, you should be so proud of all you have done (and are doing!) to provide milk for your babies! And you are all so supportive and helpful to each other!

<<<<<beaming!>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    I just have to say I am so impressed with all of you relactating moms! However things turn out for all of you, you should be so proud of all you have done (and are doing!) to provide milk for your babies! And you are all so supportive and helpful to each other!

<<<<<beaming!>>>>>
    Thank you that makes me feel good

Thanks Kate! That makes me feel so proud of what I am doing. The support here has been so awesome. The ladies here are why I am still at this. Without this kind of support, I couldn't have made it this far...

Hey there,

Thanks Kate! Just wanted to let you all know that yesterday was the first day since she was 3 1/2 weeks old that Rachel had nothing but Mama's milk . She had about 1 1/2 ounces of expressed milk and rest from the breast....I am so happy. We have our 3 month appointment today so I am hoping her weight, growth etc are still okay. She seems pretty big to me Anyway, I don't want to get my hopes up that we are totally done with formula yet, but I am so happy about yesterday that if she gets a bit more before we are totally back to the breast I think I will be okay.

So all you Mamas who are struggling hang in there!!!! It can be done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollysmom
    Hey there,

Thanks Kate! Just wanted to let you all know that yesterday was the first day since she was 3 1/2 weeks old that Rachel had nothing but Mama's milk . She had about 1 1/2 ounces of expressed milk and rest from the breast....I am so happy. We have our 3 month appointment today so I am hoping her weight, growth etc are still okay. She seems pretty big to me Anyway, I don't want to get my hopes up that we are totally done with formula yet, but I am so happy about yesterday that if she gets a bit more before we are totally back to the breast I think I will be okay.

So all you Mamas who are struggling hang in there!!!! It can be done!!!
    congrats! that is really great news!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Kristine,
    That is wonderful news!

Age of DC: 5 1/2 weeks

Biological or Adopted: adopted

Number of babies breastfed in the past: two ( I bf for the first 3 months and had to stop for medical reasons for both.)

Reason for Relactation: I would like to give this baby the best start. I also regret very much not being able to bf longer for my daughters
    Days/Months into Relactation Process: 33 days

Means of Relactation (ie, pumping, nursing, herbs, etc.):
    I have been taking bc pills, and domperidone, and provera (doing the n/g protocol) I will be adding fenugreek, fennel, and blessed thistle when I stop the birth control pills. I purchased a limerick pump, a pump in style, and am looking into purchasing an avent isis duo. I will be pumping every two to three hours after day 50. I will let everyone know.

Progress thus Far: Deffinate breast changes!!!! I am overy excited and am crossing off the days on my calandar so I will keep everyone posted. when I start pumping.

Complications :None so far.

Feelings about Progress: It's still early and I know it will take a lot of hard work. I am ready for it. I have taken two weeks off of work to just pump, I hope that gives me a good start.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Increase my supply before I go back to work in 5 weeks. Long Term: I would love to have a full come in and not have to supplement.

Comments: I am so happy I found this board. I never knew relactating was even possible and it is so great to have all of the encouragement! I am willing to put forth the work and willing to try it all. This is important to me!!!! I am so glad I found this board where it is important to others too. It's wonderfull to have understanding.

#6 August 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Last edited by janeenlyn; August 21st, 2006 at 09:07 PM.

2 WEEK UPDATE!!!!!

Age of DC: Days away from 5 months

Biological or Adopted: Biological

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - this is my 1st child

Reason for Relactation: Regret for not breastfeeding as a newborn and he has reflux and the ped and my IBCLC think breastmilk would really help him with it.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 14 days

Pumping every 2-4 hours, manual expression, herbs (More Milk Plus), considering Domperidone in a few weeks if the herbs continue not to help.

Progress thus Far: Progress has been a little slow... And then it just picked up in the past 2 days! I am spraying from both sides when I manually express. I still get almost nothing while pumping but I've started to get more drops so I think there is hope there! My right side has always been a dud (barely produced a drop while the other side was spraying) but it's catching up and starting spraying with expression yesterday. I am hoping that continuing to pump will bring the milk out as pumping is a learned skill.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): Flat nipple on right side and severe PPD (on meds now)

Feelings about Progress: Some days are worse than others. It's a bit depressing to not see milk in a bottle when I'm spraying while expressing. But I know that it's a slow process and it will all come in due time if I work hard enough at it.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Supplment some of DS's formula feedings with breastmilk. Long Term: I would love to be EBF by Christmas so that I can let this cat out of the bag to my family! If not EBF (at current, he won't latch) then I hope to have him on EBM only.

Comments: I would not be this far without all the wonderful ladies here. You guys have been my main support (DH supports but he hasn't been there to be able to give me good advice or anything). I am hoping and praying that all you ladies are doing well!

Other (Topic not listed already): N?A

Hi!
    Add me to the list!

Age of DC: dd, 3 years and 4 months

Biological or Adopted: Biological

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - this is my 1st child

Reason for Relactation: we weaned (very easily, after both my breasts were injured, you can read about it here)
    and after a while dd started asking to nurse again. I always explained to her that we were finished with 'boobie' and that my breasts didnt have any more milk. But after about 6 months, I felt like letting her nurse again. One day I was going out and dd was really unhappy about me leaving her with her dad, and I asked her what she wanted me to do (prepared to stay home), and she said "if I can have some boobie before you go, then I'll feel happy to stay with aba". So we started nursing again.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 3 months

I dont have more than a couple of squirts of milk, but dd isnt nursing for the nurtitional value, just for the comfort, so I'm not doing anything other than letting her nurse when she likes.

Progress thus Far: dd usually just likes to play with my breasts a bit, she likes to use them for a pillow when she goes to sleep, or rub my nipple on her cheek when she's feeling stressed.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): I dont have any nursing bras any more, but thats about it.

Feelings about Progress: I feel really happy to be doing this, its such a nice connection with my dd.

Goals (Short and Long Term): to be the best mama I can be

Comments: This board has been great for my support. I appreciate all the support ladies! Thanks a bunch for the love! (yep, I'm just cutting and pasting here, but I agree!)

Age of DC: waiting to adopt- will be a newborn

Biological or Adopted: Adopted

Number of babies breastfed in the past: Twins, now 3

Reason for Relactation: Inducing to breastfeed adopted newborn

Days/Months into Relactation Process: was on dom and bcp's protocol for 4 months, been pumping for 1 week

Was on bcp's and domperidone (the Newman/Goldfarb Protocol), stopped bcp's and started pumping 1 week ago.. added Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (still on dom)

Progress thus Far: Currently up to about 6ml a pumping session, 1 & 1/2oz per day

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): left breast produces less than right

Feelings about Progress: wishing that supply would "kick in" like it did when pumping after my twins were born (they were preemie and couldn't suck/nurse at all for 4 weeks, and were in teh NICU for 7 weeks, so I pumped exclusively to get my milk to come in with them!)

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: I really want to nurse my baby without supplementation.... we'll see!

Comments: My nipples hurt!