Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

Default Re: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

Age of DC: 5 months

Biological or Adopted: Biological

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - this is my 1st child

Reason for Relactation: She quit nursing but I really want her to have all the benefits of nursing, so I will express and mix with formula.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 1 days

Means of Relactation (ie, pumping, nursing, herbs, etc.):
    Electic pump and night and on weekends. Manual express at work. Starting fennel seed tea tonight.

Progress thus Far: None yet

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): None so far.

Feelings about Progress: Waiting to see.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Get restarted and see if she is willing to nurse. Long Term: At least to express and mix with formula through her first birthday and then reevaluate.

Comments: Thanks so much for all the support.

Other (Topic not listed already): N/A

Age of DC: 7.5 months

Reason for Relactation: Stopped b/f when he was 4 months. I had an operations (tonsills out) and ended up having 3 post-operative bleeds. They had to medicate me and advised I stop breastfeeding. My milk disappered really quickly and wouldn't come up when I tried feeding him again - probably because my body was trying to recover, and because I had lost so much blood.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 3 days

Pumping every 2-3 hours, taking Domperidone (80mg per day), resting, TRYING to use a lact-aid , using nipple shields

Progress thus Far: Not a lot, breasts have enlarged, droplets of clear liquid while expressing (a good sign I hope), baby latching on occasionally although frustrated.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc):

Feelings about Progress: I really hope something more starts happening soon. It's early days yet though. Sometimes I think it will never happen, but when he is sucking away I think 'this is what I want.'

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Drop some formula feedings, replace with breasfeeds.
    Long term: Just see how it goes. I would love to drop all bottle feeds but realise that it may not be possible. I'd love to wean off Domperidone as well and not have to use it all the time. It's too expensive. (I live in New Zealand where it's easily available, but still not cheap)

Comments: I'm so pleased I found this site! I haven't met any other mums yet who have tried to relactate, It's great to know I'm not the only one and it's not too late to start trying. Why didn't I do this sooner? I've been missing the relationship with my son for a couple of months - aren't I silly!

Other (Topic not listed already):

Hows everyone doing???

UPDATE!!

Age of DC: 8 months tomorrow

Number of babies breastfed in the past: EBF my first daughter until 2 months, supplimented and BF until 5 months, then she weaned herself.

Reason for Relactation: I really wanted to make it to a year, but a lot of stuff came up in our lives during the months of June and July that caused us to wean earlier than expected. I still want to be able to nurse her until she is a year old though.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 12 days

Pumping every 2-3 hours, taking Fenugreek and Alfalafa (4 pills, 3 times a day), drinking Mothers Milk Tea, have nipple shields but haven't been succesful with them yet.

Progress thus Far: I am starting to get a few drops of milk at each pumping session - more in the morning than the evening.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): none

Feelings about Progress: Once I was able to see more milk while pumping, its really encouraging.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short Term-Pump 1-2 oz of milk each day
    Long term-Either nurse a few times a day and give EBM in bottles the rest of the time or at least give only EBM in bottles. No formula at all.

Age of DC: nearly 13 months (on the 2nd)

Reason for Relactation: Regret for not breastfeeding and unable after 10 weeks of age becuase of meds, now im off meds and giving it a go

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 9 days

Pumping every 2-4 hours, reglan 3xday (going to ask doc for script for Dom since i just found out we can get it again in the states. (as soon as they come in ill be taking Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and Alfalfa. Eating a bit of oatmeal, drinking 16ish oz of Mothers Milk Tea a day.

Progress thus Far: Nothing much coming from breasts, every so often a teeny tiny wet spot on nipple after pumping but thats it.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): None now just will take time and work

Feelings about Progress: Somedays i feel things are going to go wonderfully somedays i feel like i cant do it, no support from husband

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term goal is to simple get milk coming from my breasts, long term is to get Sara used to nursing again and let her nurse whenever and how often and for how long she wants to.

Comments: I coming here, the ladies are so helpful!!! Must support!

Other (Topic not listed already): N?A

* * UPDATE * *

Age of DC: 5 months

Reason for Relactation: Regret for not breastfeeding as a newborn and he has reflux and the ped and my IBCLC think breastmilk would really help him with it.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 19 days

Pumping every 2-4 hours, manual expression, herbs (More Milk Plus), considering ordering Domperidone tomorrow.

Progress thus Far: I pump/manually express about 1/4 oz first thing in the morning and about half that each time during the day. After 4 days, I've collected almost 3/4 oz and am hoping to get to at least 1 oz before I have to feed it to DS. I would LOVE for him to have a full breastmilk feeding but I don't know if I can get that much more milk in 4 days!

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): Flat nipple on right side and severe PPD (on meds now)

Feelings about Progress: Some days are worse than others. Some days it's too much work and I hate that I'm doing this but I don't know where I'd be if I wasn't!

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Supplment some of DS's formula feedings with breastmilk. Long Term: I would love to be EBF by Christmas so that I can let this cat out of the bag to my family! If not EBF (at current, he won't latch) then I hope to have him on EBM only.

Comments: I would not be this far without all the wonderful ladies here. You guys have been my main support (DH supports but he hasn't been there to be able to give me good advice or anything). I am hoping and praying that all you ladies are doing well!

Other (Topic not listed already): N?A

Update!
    our background post

Well, as of yesterday, I can now squirt milk again!!
    (so dont offend me or you'll get a facefull! )
    So I'm actually getting some milk just on the right side though. On the left all I have is 1/2 a drop.