Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

Default Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

I thought I would start an update thread for us relactating mama's. This would make us all easier to find if someone has questions. Plus, the extra support is always great right?? I was thinking we could update maybe once a week or once a month...? Some thought on that maybe?

You can copy and paste the form below and fill in your answers.

I'll start...

Age of DC: 4 and a half months

Biological or Adopted: Biological

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - this is my 1st child

Reason for Relactation: Regret for not breastfeeding as a newborn and he has reflux and the ped and my IBCLC think breastmilk would really help him with it.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 10 days

Means of Relactation (ie, pumping, nursing, herbs, etc.):
    Pumping every 2-4 hours, manual expression, herbs (More Milk Plus), considering Domperidone in a few weeks if the herbs continue not to help.

Progress thus Far: Progress has been a little slow... Still getting nothing with the pump but I manually express some before and after I pump to remove what little milk I do have. I'm up half a cup size and continually getting larger and larger (lactation tissue forming) so I'm hoping that means something.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): Flat nipple on left side and severe PPD (on meds now)

Feelings about Progress: Some days are worse than others. It's a bit depressing to not see changes yet. But I know that it's a slow process and it will all come in due time if I work hard enough at it.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Supplment some of DS's formula feedings with breastmilk. Long Term: I would love to be EBF by Christmas so that I can let this cat out of the bag to my family! If not EBF (at current, he won't latch) then I hope to have him on EBM only.

Comments: This board has been great for my support. I appreciate all the support ladies! Thanks a bunch for the love!

Other (Topic not listed already): N?A
    Last edited by Mama2Caleb2006; August 18th, 2006 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Calling all Relactating Mama's - Update Thread

Felicia, this thread is great!

Thanks Kathy! I thought it would be a nice way for all of us relactating mama's to stay in touch and continue to support each other!

I think this is a great idea as well! thanks for thinking about it!

You can copy and paste the form below and fill in your answers.

I'll start...

Age of DC: 3 months and 2 weeks

Number of babies breastfed in the past: 1 DS for only a week.

Reason for Relactation: with both children just a few days into BF I had horrible shooting consistant pain, blisters bleeding. I found out I had thrush as well as the pump causing damage to my nipples. I have always wanted to BF my children. But give up when I lost hope on an answer.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 2 months.

Nursing nursing nursing now that he will. Hand expressing when he finishes sometimes, I was xpressing every 2 hours or more, but now that he latches i just put him to the breast as much as possible.

Progress thus Far: we are nursing with 2-4 supplements a day. usually we do well! he nurses 2-5 times at night without any supplements!

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): flat nipples, (which now that he nurses are out a lot more) BReast augementation with a capsular contraction in my right breast which makes latching hard for my son. but he is starting to get it.

Feelings about Progress: It seems that even with all that we have accomplished I still have days where we are at a stand still or move backwards but it has that only momentarally and he gets back at it! I am very happy that he is finally nursing! but more importantly happy to have this bonding time and giving him my liquid gold!

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: at first i wanted to at least nurse once a day. then twice now i want to just supplement 2 times a day and in the long term I would love to be EBF in the next month!

Comments: Though it's very hard and time consuming, when you actually reach the goal you have it's so bitter sweet . I'm glad I didn't give up this time, and my boy is totally worth it! I love nursing and am glad to have this time with him!

~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Age of DC: 5 1/2 weeks

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - this is my 1st child

Reason for Relactation: Regret for giving up too soon and listening to my antibreastfeeding family. She also gets really gassy on the formula so I hope to make her feel better.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 2 days

Pumping every 2-3 hours, nursing via SNS, More Milk Plus. I have my 6 weeks appointment next week and will ask the OB about prescriptions if I think I need one.

Progress thus Far: It's still really early, but she has already had one BM diaper. It wasn't much, but it was the yellow seedy kind instead of the greenish pasty kind from formula.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): None so far.

Feelings about Progress: It's still early and I know it will take a lot of hard work. The one diaper was encouraging though!

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Increase my supply before I go back to work in 5 weeks. Long Term: I would love to be EBF before I go back to work, or at least with a couple of months.

Comments: I am so happy I found this board. I never knew relactating was even possible and it is so great to have all of the encouragement!

Other (Topic not listed already): N/A

Age of DC: 7 months 3 weeks

Number of babies breastfed in the past: I EBF my first for 2 months then had severe supply issues, tried for 3 months to up my supply but wasn't able to get it up enough to keep BF.

Reason for Relactation: I want to BF until she is a year old.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 5 days

Pumping every 2-4 hours, manual expression, herbs (Fenugreek), I hope to nurse w/ SNS soon but she has been refusing to latch at all so far.

Progress thus Far: Progress has been a slow... Still getting nothing with the pump. I rented a Medela Lactina today and have ordered new shields online as I think the ones I have are too small. I can manually express some milk before and after I pump.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): None so far

Feelings about Progress: It feels so slow but then I think its only been 5 days.
    I have heard it takes as long to relactate as its been since you last weaned -so I have at least 2 more weeks before I should expect any progress.

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: Get some milk out with the pump. Long Term: I would love to be EBF again but it will be enough if I can give her BM in bottles until she is one year old (which will be the end of December)

Comments: I have only been on this board for a few days - I mostly spend time at BabyCenter. But no one there is doing what I am doing so its great to have a support system while doing this and to be able to commiserate together and rejoice together!

~Amy
    Madeline Aug 2004
    Allison Dec 2005

Age of DC: 6 weeks

Number of babies breastfed in the past: None - my daughter was ff from birth.

Reason for Relactation: I gave him formula at 6 days old in a moment of weakness because I had sore/cracked/bleeding nipples and he hadn't had a BM since he was released from the hospital.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: I only stopped BFing completely for one week. After that, I've been feeding him at least once a day - comfort nursing if nothing else.

pumping and nursing as often as he will latch

Progress thus Far: I can't get much out with the pump, but my son will nurse 10-45 minutes each time he latches and he's not fighting latch so much anymore. He also has at least one BF stool (seedy, mustard colored) each day so I know he's getting some breastmilk!

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): I am bipolar and we've developed thrush.

Feelings about Progress: I'm just happy as long as I can get some breastmilk into him even if his main nutrition is formula. I think breastfeeding provides a lot of comfort even if he only does it once a day. He is a lot more attached to me than my daughter was.

Goals (Short and Long Term): I want to be able to breastfeed my son at least once each day for at least the first year of his life, if not longer.

Comments: I couldn't do this without everyone's advice and support!

Great Idea!!!

Age of DC: 1 year

Number of babies breastfed in the past: Sara is my first

Reason for Relactation: Regret for stopping breastfeeding when she was 10 weeks old because of meds that i had to take, now i wish to relactate and reteach her how to take my breast for comfort nursing

Days/Months into Relactation Process: Started Reglan 4 days ago and manual stimulation...waiting for pump, should have it this coming week

Means of Relactation right now Reglan 4xday & manual stimulation

Progress thus Far: So far nothing has happened

Complications na

Feelings about Progress: Depressed about it somedays and somedays i feel hopeful

Goals (Short and Long Term): Short term: To be able to nurse Sara when she wants to

Comments: Robert (DH) at times seems non supportive so i come here for support because yall understand the phy and mental issues surrounding this

Hi there,

Just joined this forum looking for breastfeeding/relactating support.

Age of DC: 3 months

Number of babies breastfed in the past: Only fed 1st daughter expressed breastmilk for a couple of weeks. She was 5 weeks early and I had ppd.

Reason for Relactation: DD2 was EBF for the first 3 1/2 weeks and then I developed PPD again. I had to get help with looking after her so we started supplementing with formula. Breastfeeding is really important to me so once my medication started working I decided to try and get her back on the breast exclusively.

Days/Months into Relactation Process: 1 month

Means of Relactation (ie, pumping, nursing, herbs, etc.): Nursing on demand, taking Domperidone (sp?) and breast compressions. Have tried pumping and SNS but I hate them both and I don't seem to get a lot of milk out with the pump.

Progress thus Far: Progress has been really good. I am lucky that she goes back and forth between the bottle and breast very easily. She also has a pretty good latch. We are now down to only 4-6 oz of formula a day. We have been seeing Dr. Jack Newman and it has been a big help. The domperidone seems to be helping a lot too.

Complications (ie, breast surgery, flat nipples, PPD etc): PPD - now under control with meds.

Feelings about Progress: I am really happy with the way the process has gone. When I decided to do this I promised myself that I wouldn't beat myself up if I couldn't get back to exclusive breastfeeding, but now it is going so well that I might actually be able to and I am so excited!

Goals (Short and Long Term): Get rid of all the formula!!!

Comments: I am so glad I found this board/thread and I can't wait to get to know you all!!

Kristine, Mom to Holly 11/05 and Rachel 05/06

Its nice to meet all of you