Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ugh - Rollercoaster Supply

Default Ugh - Rollercoaster Supply

LO's nursing during the day has been erratic for the last few days. Sometimes she'll only go an hour, or every two. At night she's been going 3 - 4 and even the odd 5 hour sleep. So nursing at night has been rough because my right side gets engorged (left has always been an underachiever). It's difficult because she gets overwhelmed, pulls off, spits up a lot, etc. Then, during the day, I almost feel like I don't have enough as I need to feed off of both sides. I just don't feel like I have enough time for them to refill and recover.

She seems to be getting back on track a bit today but how do you deal with the oversupply at night? I'm exhausted as it is. She'll only feed on one side (she can even get full off of the left side at night) per feeding. I can't imagine getting up and pumping to take the edge off too.

I worry when she sleeps too long. I worry when she doesn't sleep. I worry when she feeds too often. I worry when she doesn't feed often enough. You've gotta love being a Momma!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Ugh - Rollercoaster Supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I worry when she sleeps too long. I worry when she doesn't sleep. I worry when she feeds too often. I worry when she doesn't feed often enough. You've gotta love being a Momma!
    BTDT!

I think when I started getting uncomfortable from DD going longer between feedings at night, I did pump in the beginning. It was kind of nice b/c it helped me build up a little freezer stash. But I used just a manual handheld pump so I didn't have to deal with hooking up any electronics in the middle of the night.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I think I have mastitis today from a similar issue. My lo didn't feed well yesterday and hardly nursed off the left side. I didn't realize until late last night that it was hard and engorged...and now I have classic symptoms of mastitis. I'm sorry that you are having a rough time with nursing. You're not a lone. I hope it gets better for you.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

It's just difficult because I'm flooding her at night and I'm struggling to keep up during the day. I don't know how my body can regulate (and stop with the over active let down at night) when it has one demand for 12 hours and another for the other 12 hours of the day.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

How do you know that you are struggling to keep up during the day?

I thought the same thing with my lo at first, because she would eat every 2 hours during the day.

Then my LC told me that if I had oversupply issues she might get filled up with just the foremilk when I as nursing during the day - and get hungry again quickly. She suggested that I block feed (one breast for a set of 3 or 6 hours) so that she could fill up on foremilk and hindmilk and not need to eat so often.

Do you think that would work for you?

What color are you lo's poops?

If they are green - especially lime green - then she might only be getting the fore milk and you may want to offer one breast for two feedings.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Her poops are fine (seedy yellow) and have never changed. It's more that during the day, she'll nurse well beyond hearing any swallowing and if I take her off the breast, she'll be looking for more. I went out for 3 hours and left DH with 90mls in a bottle. She drank that about 30 min before I came home. When she heard my voice she started fussing like crazy. I nursed her at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm and 10:15pm! She stayed up the entire time and has JUST gone down to sleep now (11pm).

It's difficult for me to block feed since my left side doesn't produce much. It isn't very often that I can get away with just feeding the left. I typically need to top her off with the right. Feeding the right very rarely ever needs a top up. While I can feed the right in back to back feedings, the left just doesn't have the output.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and