Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Throw out pumped milk?

Default Throw out pumped milk?

I am wondering if I need to throw out 3 months worth of pumped milk as I'm thinking my 3 month old daughter may be sensitive to dairy. I did stop consuming milk and that seemed to help her fussiness, although I could just be over-reacting. I'm not sure if the 10 or so ounces of pumped milk she'll have at day care will begin to affect her again? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Throw out pumped milk?

I dont have much experience in allergies, so maybe another mama will come along here in a min and help more than me. Im thinking you could change your diet and keep you pumped milk for just in case. Soon after changing your diet you will be able to store up your stash. I hope your able to figure out what it is thats bothering your LO Check back in cause we have some awesome mamas that are great with issues like this.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Oh no don't throw it out for sure. Even if she ends up not being able to drink it there are all sorts of things you could use it for.
    Anything from baking with it to donating it to a milk bank or breastmilk testing facility. I'd even keep it for medicinal purposes, it works to help heal cuts, scrapes, pink eye! You don't need 3 months worth for that but it can be useful!
    You can store up to 12 months in the freezer so you've got some time to figure it out.
    Hoping it's not an allergy! There are lots of mom's who've got great info on that.

Definately don't throw it out! That's a precious commodity. It will keep for months in the freezer. Are you absolutely sure she's sensitive the dairy in your milk? When she's older, she might grow out of it, and you could mix it with her cereal.

If you absolutely need the freezer space, you can donate your milk. I had 100 oz of frozen milk which I didn't need. I found a local mom who needed it and she was so glad. Her formula-fed LO was constipated all the time and a 4 oz bottle of my breastmilk every few days was the only thing which gave her some relief.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you for the replies. I am good on freezer space as we have a deep freezer where I store my milk, and I definitely don't want to through it out. My main concern was if the ten or so ounces she has at day care each day will affect her - fussiness and a slight rash on her face. The only dairy product I cut out of my diet was milk. Could just milk in my diet affect her or would it be all products containing dairy? I guess it could just be the fact that she is still only 3 months and her digestive tract is still working itself out (if that makes sense). Thanks again from blizzard bound South Dakota!

we have a forum half way thru the home page... its all about allergies. they will be able to help your walk thru that part of your relationship with your LO
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Thank you!