Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversupply to undersupply.

Default Oversupply to undersupply.

Has anyone gone through this? If so any tips on how to get it back.
    I can't believe I ever worried that I had too much milk.

Default Re: Oversupply to undersupply.

What makes you think you don't have enough?

The best way to boost supply is to just nurse nurse nurse. Also, eating oatmeal or taking supplements like Mothers Milk Tea or fenugreek helps some mamas.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am not pumping enough for next days bottles. LO is STTN for a LONG time now and I am only nursing him 2x a day while pumping 4x. I have been trying to pump more and I have seen a very, very minimal increase, by maybe by 1/2 an ounce. I just REFUSE to give up I will do whatever I have to. I am just frustrated that I went from one extreme to the other.

Can you offer to nurse him more often when you are together? I know you are working and pumping, but evenings and weekends you could offer more frequently and that might help boost your supply. Make sure you nurse rather than pump when you are together.

How long has he been sleeping longer at night? It might not last very long, some babies go one week sleeping a lot and then the next week they are up frequently to nurse. That's how my daughter was.

I also had problems pumping enough to get her through the next day, but I always had enough when we were together. Do you think that might be the case for you? If so it might just be an issue with your pump. How much total are you pumping per day? You said you are pumping 4 times/day, how much are you getting at each session? How much is he eating when you are gone?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am so grateful for your help.
    I can offer to nurse more on the weekends and will start this weekend. He has been STTN for 3 months now! He is just now 5 months old. I would definitely say I have enough when we are together and up until about a week or so ago, I was pumping plenty- so I don't think its the pump. But I had one very busy week at work and missed a few pumping sessions- and my supply took a huge hit. I have never missed any prior and I was mad that I let it happen. I keep a log of how much a pump from each breast at each session and all the totals. I have consistently been pumping an avg. of 18- 20 oz. each day (3 sessions) and the last week or so have been pumping an avg. of 9-10. My LO takes in about 5-6 oz. in each of the 3 bottles during the day.
    Just the last 2 nights he has slept through his last nighttime feeding (9 pm ish) so i pumped then, but other than that, I never pump when I am with him. I think the timing of this new sleep pattern hasn't helped my supply either. Sorry this is so long and drawn out/confusing. this might be easier:

an average day before missing last feeding
    6:30 am ish - nurse
    9:30 am ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    12:30 pm ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    3:30 pm ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    6:30 pm - nurse
    8:45-9 pm- nurse

Now
    6:30 am ish - nurse
    9:30 am ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    12:30 pm ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    3:30 pm ish- I pump @ wk/ he gets bottle (5-6 oz)
    6:30 pm - nurse
    8:45-9 pm- pump while he sleeps

It could be that your previous oversupply was contributing to you getting such large amounts of milk before, rather than being due to you missing a few pumping sessions. If it was just missing pumping sessions, you should easily recover once you resestablish your previous pattern. 18-20 oz to pump in one day is a HUGE amount. I never ever got that much (though like I said, I always had problems pumping enough for the next day as well). Even 9-10 oz for me would have been much more than usual so to me it sounds like you are still doing pretty well, though I know if it's just not enough it must be very frustrating for you.

I assume from the timing you listed that you are already nursing last thing before you leave for work in the morning and then first thing when you get home? Is there any way you can get in another nursing session before he goes to bed at night? When you pump do you usually get more than one let down?

And again, I know a lot of moms have luck eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning or using herbal supplements to boost supply.
    --Anonymous

I agree, you could be feeding him more at daycare than he needs. They typically say 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are away.

I've been there with the evening pumping sessions - they're not much fun. Plus you don't get as much because the evening is when your supply is at its lowest.

I have had this issue with both my lo's. I had a HUGE oversupply at the beginning and right around the 3 mo. mark, my pumping supply started to drop. The same thing happened with both babies. I always had enough when I was with them - I didn't learn until later that I was actually pumping more milk than normal at the beginning and my supply was really fine. Here are some things I have done to keep up my supply and pump more milk:

1. pump right after nursing, or an hour after nursing - see which one works better for your body. I can usually get 1-2 oz. to add to a bottle that way.

2. Pump or hand express during the night (not fun if you are tired).

3. Pump one breast while nursing on the other side (watch out, though if you've had oversupply issues - this can increase supply a lot).

4. Experiment with different ways of pumping - massage your breasts while pumping, switch sides while pumping - double pump and then single pump each side to get extra, etc.

5. Take supplements and drink TONS of water!

Good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

So, I have an interesting turn of events. AF returned Saturday! I couldn't believe it- but it totally explains the drop in supply. I was able to pump enough Friday and by Saturday and Sun. my supply was back to normal. I just wish I had a few more months of no AF- it was such a nice break.
    I really want to thank you all for your advice. Nothing is more worrisome than the thought of not being able to produce enough food for your LO. I worried that I also may have come across a little freaked out- I am a worrier, big time. But thanks.

Oh, yep. That'll do it. My supply would drop for a few days every month right before my period. I'm glad yours returned to normal so quickly!
    --Anonymous