Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month won't nurse anymore

Default 3 month won't nurse anymore

My son will be 3 months old on the 25th we have been supplementing because he wasn't gaining any weight. At his 2 months checkup he had only gained 5 oz from his 2 week check up. The pedi had me nursing, then supplementing an oz and pumping after every feeding to build my supply. I used the SNS so he wouldn't get to used to a bottle. He started gaining weight but then he developed thrush and would not nurse even with the SNS. Pedi told me to give him a bottle because breastfeeding was enough established that he would go back to nursing. So I bottle fed then he started nursing again for 3 days and then he stopped again. He hasn't nursed since Tues morning and adamantly refuses the breast. I am now pumping and giving him breast milk in the bottle but I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to get their babies back to nursing? I am meeting with the LC on Tues morning but I'm looking for any advice betweeen now and then and some hope that it can be done! This is my 3rd and probably last child so I really wanted to nurse for a year. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: 3 month won't nurse anymore

Have you tried just spending lots of time skin-to-skin, you topless and him in just a diaper? Or a warm bath, or wearing him in a sling or carrier with your breast out and available?
    I haven't BTDT with a nursing strike per se, but DD refused the breast off and on due to OALD in the beginning and these were all things that helped us. Just lots of time close to the breast without the pressure to nurse, yk? I think it might also be helpful to try and latch him before every bottle feed so at least there's an association there as well.

I hope baby gets back to the breast soon Mama! EPing is no picnic!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Have you tried just spending lots of time skin-to-skin, you topless and him in just a diaper? Or a warm bath, or wearing him in a sling or carrier with your breast out and available?
    I haven't BTDT with a nursing strike per se, but DD refused the breast off and on due to OALD in the beginning and these were all things that helped us. Just lots of time close to the breast without the pressure to nurse, yk? I think it might also be helpful to try and latch him before every bottle feed so at least there's an association there as well.

I hope baby gets back to the breast soon Mama! EPing is no picnic!
    I would also suggest tons of skin to skin contact. Like pp said cuddle your baby and remain topless while they are in only their diaper. The baths are lovely too.

Hope things go well with the LC. They should be able to give you other ideas and really help you. Hang in there. Good for you for trying so hard.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for the advice, I did try the skin to skin last night and I was able to nurse him with the SNS from one side for 15 min and a few minutes on the other side! I am getting him to at least latch on right now so we're making progress!
    Val

Glad to hear things are improving! I've found that when my little guy fusses, a bath and some 'close time' does wonders. I just had to write to say my l/o is turning 3 months on the 25th too! Isn't it all going by so quickly?
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

We are in almost the same position as you! Only difference is my DS's latch was wonky which is what started my body in losing it's supply and thus his lack of weight gain. What has helped with his lazy latch is actually squeezing the "teat" of the SNS so that the milk comes out faster. He doesn't have to work to get the milk out but he does have to work at swallowing so he stays awake and active. We will be weaning him down slowly once he consistantly gains weight and shows signs of nursing better on his own. Maybe that would help? I'm not sure, but I understand baby screaming at the breast and refusing to nurse. Blah! It's quite the process isn't it? My DD's are ready to poke their eyes out since I am stuck to the couch practically all day. Anyway, know that you aren't alone!

Edited to add: DS is close to the same age. He is 10 weeks right now.....

It's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. I have been able to get him to nurse all day today with the SNS, each session I can tell he is getting better and is nursing more efficiently. I did try squeezing the SNS tonight and it did help him to stay latched on longer so that helped. He still fusses and pulls off every couple of minutes but I just gently coax him back on and he starts up again. When he gets really frustrated I give him his binkie for a couple of minutes until he calms down then I do it again. Thanks again everyone for the advice and support!

Kudos to you for sticking with it! It will be well worth it in the long run!
    Renee
    LLL Leader