Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help quick!

Default Help quick!

My DS just turned 12 months old. For the past 3 days he has been sick, vomiting, diarrhea, now fever (the vomiting has stopped...and diarrhea has slacked off). I have also been sick vomiting and diarrhea all day yesterday and last night. So of course I have been nursing my DS as much as he would while he has been sick. But this morning when I tried to nurse him, he started throwing a fit. I pumped and didnt get hardly anything out! So I am really dehydrated and cant feed my baby. Because he is so sick...the doctor says I cant give him whole milk...just pediatlyte. Well he wont drink that. So now what do I do? I can hardly hold anything down, but I really want to be there with fluids and comfort for my little boy...but I cant. Any suggestions??

Default Re: Help quick!

BTDT, it is tough!! Your supply will bounce back. What about something like watermelon? He may not be able to keep anything down.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I would keep offering the breast but if he continues to refuse it or if you're too dehydrated maybe some apple juice or something would work? Just try to get the real juice and not the kind with lots of added sugar or corn syrup.

I hope you both start feeling better soon!

Oh, another thing you might try is soup or broth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

100% juice would be a good idea, but sometimes apple might aggravate the diarrhea. White grape might be good. You could dilute it w/ water. Or even just plain water. 100% fruit juice pops would be good too. Hope your all feeling better soon!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

DD will only drink the non-flavored Pedialyte mixed with a little of her favorite juice. If he is that sick, dairy can aggravate his stomach, so I see why the Dr. said no milk.
    Hope you both get well very soon!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Have you tried Pedialyte popsicles? Sometimes sucking on a popsicle makes it easier for them keep the fluids down.

I hope you both feel better soon!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Ive always used the no sugar added juice pops.
    or you can make your own.

how about ice chips...my dd loves them...I make them small enough so she cant choke and they melt quickly...or I have put a whole cube in those mesh feeders as well!

feel better
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Thank you all so much for your sound advice. I took DS to the doctor today and he checked out ok except for she said that his throat was really red (tested for strep and negative). So now I am def thinking that he is not crying b/c of my low supply but b/c his throat is hurting. My supply is increasing some now thank goodness. But my husband tried to feed him a bottle of expressed milk tonight and he screams like he is in so much pain. He has finally been taking some pedialyte grape flavor today but I dont feel like he is getting enough. Thanks for all the support!

poor LO

i hope he feels better soon
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.