Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing style and eating style?

Default nursing style and eating style?

A random thought ... I was wondering if LO's nursing style crosses over into their food eating style? Is a fast nurser also a fast eater? A slow nurser also a slow eater?

My DS is the slooooooowest eater ever. He eats some, then chats some, then eats some, then chats ... and so on. Yesterday morning there was a party at DS preschool. All the other LO gobbled down their breakfasts in about 5 min and then ran off to play. About 30 min later DS leisurely finished his breakfast and then went to join in books being read. His teachers said that they try to get him to wash hands first and start snacks and meals 1st because they know he'll be the last one done and that gets him a little head start. It's not a problem - just funny in comparison to his friends.

DS is currently bf 3 times a day - and these are also leisurely social sessions. We chat, DS plays with my hair, I do "little piggies", we play games with my fingers, etc.

Which made me scratch my head and start wondering if his nursing style crosses over into all eating?

Thoughts or experiences?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: nursing style and eating style?

K was a very occasional nurser: occasionally fast, occasionally leisurely. She is some what the same with eating solids, sometimes shovels it all in, sometimes takes a bite and that's it.

Never thought about it before but it certainly makes sense.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Interesting.

Zach was always a really fast but frequent nurser. As a newborn he never nursed for longer than 3-5 minutes, but would do so every 30 minutes or so. Later on, he would still sometimes want to nurse several times an hour but for less than a minute each time. And he is definitely a snacker when it comes to food, too. He is constantly asking for food but only eats a couple bites at a time. And he doesn't care for meals.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Logan is the speed nurser and always was. He gets his milk then is on to the next thing.

He could sit there and eat food forever though, and is the slowest eater in the world. Takes him sometimes 30 minutes to eat, I get so impatient I help and am popping bites into his mouth.

So nope we have no correlation between eating and nursing styles.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    K was a very occasional nurser: occasionally fast, occasionally leisurely. She is some what the same with eating solids, sometimes shovels it all in, sometimes takes a bite and that's it.

Never thought about it before but it certainly makes sense.
    Same here.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)