Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some hope that this will get better

Default Need some hope that this will get better

Hi Ladies

My son is now almost 6 months (Jan 2). I am still waking up every morning engorged and in pain because I am so full. My breasts feel as though they are filled with rocks. This then leads to plugged ducts about once a week. Luckily I have not gotten mastitis but I am so sick of plugged ducts and poking myself with a needle to try and get them out. I have tried everything short of going on regular birth control (I'm afraid to dry up my milk completely and my ob said there is a chance this will happen with regular birth control). Will this ever get better? It has been very hard on me emotionally and has caused some depression. I hate breastfeeding because it has been so hard. My breasts seem to hurt all the time and I am living in constant fear of plugged ducts even when I don't have them.

Default Re: Need some hope that this will get better

I'm sorry this is still so hard for you. When you say you've tried everything, what exactly do you mean?

I've heard (although I'm not a doctor and never tried it myself, so you'd have to ask your ob and check with other moms) that taking sudafed can decrease supply. Have you tried other medicine besides birth control?

I don't blame you about birth control - I took it once and didn't like using it and stopped.

You're not alone. I'm still struggling with my breasts going back and forth between oversupply and undersupply. And my lo turns 6 mo. the day after Christmas - I don't get it~

Please keep us updated. I hope you find some answers and I'm sorry that you are feeling so sad and depressed...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I, too am sorry you are feeling depressed.

What time is your last feeding at night? Can you pump right before you go to bed, or maybe get up early and pump? I hate when mine are like rocks... they literally feel like they are going to blow right off. Yikes! Hang in there mama...

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Things I have tried:
    1- 6 hour blocks (he nurses about every three hours and I only nurse one side at a time)
    2- peppermint tea
    3- losing weight (I have lost all of my pregnancy weight)
    4- Exercise (I run 4 miles a day now 6 days a week)
    5- cabbage leaves (did not notice a change at all)

I always do my last feed right before going to bed (usually around 10 or 11). My son sleeps 6-7 hours now so I feed him again around 5:30 in the morning. If I get up early to pump it makes the supply issue worse where my body thinks I need more milk and produces even more. I can't pump at all actually because my body gets so confused. So thank goodness I am not working for this year or it would have been pretty impossible to breastfeed. I don't mind being on the pill I am just afraid to start it because I also don't want to complete dry up my milk. Maybe I will ask an LC about sudafed.

It's my understanding that peppermint tea is a pretty diluted source of peppermint and it would take A LOT to actually see a difference. I've heard a lot about eating altoids and mom's actually seeing a difference. Worth a shot, even if it didn't work for you, at least you'd have super fresh breath!!

That seems to make sense about the peppermint tea being diluted. Maybe try a stronger dose of peppermint?

It's GREAT that you don't have to pump. Pumping always confused my body too. I wish I didn't ever have to do it.

Did you say that hand expressing was the same issue for you?

I would find a good LC and find out about other natural or medicinal supplements to take to reduce supply.

Maybe they even know about a birth control pill that wouldn't dry you up completely.

Have you started your period, yet? I found that with my first lo that reduced my supply quite a bit. I haven't started my period yet with this baby and I am still overproducing.

Would ice packs work instead of cabbage leaves? Cabbage leaves never worked for me, but ice packs helped.

One last thing that worked for me was getting pregnant (He, he) Your probably not ready for that, yet. But when I got pregnant, my supply dipped and eventually went away for good.

Some moms can keep feeding all through pregnancy, though.

Again, I hope you find answers! Keep us posted

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

You know mama, I read once that "exercise that includes excessive moment of the arms" can contribute to plugged ducts...maybe the movement from running is making it harder to go away?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I didn't start running again until my son was 4 months old and the plugged ducts have been going on since 6 weeks. I don't really get the deep plugged ducts up in the armpits anyway they usually seem to start in my nipple and move back from there, but I am not really sure. I figure I have made is 6 months what is 6 more. My new goal is 9 months and then I plan to slowly (very slowly) wean my son so that we are done by 12 months. I can do three more for sure. I just wish it was easier and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rjmom View Post
    I didn't start running again until my son was 4 months old and the plugged ducts have been going on since 6 weeks.
    Right, but what I am saying is maybe the exercise is keeping them from going away now.

It is common to have plugged ducts in the beginning because most women have oversupply, but between about 4-6 months supply generally evens out. Your supply may have started to even out, but the running is keeping things aggravated.

...just a theory...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I had terrible oversupply problems too--and was blockfeeding for up to 12 hours!
    Sage tea several times a day helped. But Sudafed was most effective. I had to take it for almost a week, but many moms see a difference after one or two doses.
    Hang in there, it will get better.

-Indy's Mom