Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Deficiency?

Thumbs down Vitamin D Deficiency?

So I just read this in American Baby magazine, and have never heard or seen it elsewhere....

Q: I've breastfed my baby since birth. Will this cause him to be deficient in Vitamin D?
    A: Human milk doesn't contain much Vitamin D. Besides hurting calcium absorption and bone development.... can also cause irritability, slow growth, delayed motor skill development. So if you're breastfeeding, give your baby liquid supplements of 400 IU per day, starting at birth and continuing until adolescence. Babies on formula don't need supplements until they're getting less than 32 ounces of formula daily.

Sooooo... Am I supposed to be giving my DS Vitamin D? And is it just me, or does the wording of the answer here sound almost anti-BF?
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!

Default Re: Vitamin D Deficiency?

Our peditrician has us giving our lo vitamin D. You can use polyvisol vitamins or some that contain just vitamin D. If you live somewhere warm you can just take your baby outside for a while everyday and let her get out in the sun.

I started a thread about this a while ago. You can read what others said about it too. I know there was an official media release from LLL that suggested the vitamin D also.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=63141

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

This topic has come up several times are our area LLL meetings. According to the leaders there, human milk does not contain a lot of Vitamin D, but the Vitamin D that it does contain is almost 100% absorbable by baby's body. The Vitamin D supplements for babies are hard for them to break down and absorb, so they pass most of it through their systems without it even being digested.

Also, I think it is unrealistic for doctors to say that a child *needs* this supplement as humanity survived hundreds of thousands of years without synthetic vitamins in man-made plastic bottles that turn a profit for the formula companies (coincidence that 2 of the leading brands of vitamin D are either wholly owned subsidiaries or business partners with formula companies...)

If your diet is good and baby gets some sunlight - even if natural light just comes in your house via windows with the shades open - the likelihood is that the baby is fine.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

While I agree that humanity has survived without supplementation thus far, there is a lot of research being done on the importance of Vitamin D for both us and our lo's. We live in a society now that covers us against the sun obsessively. We've been so scared of skin cancer that we do actually have some people who are not getting enough Vitamin D. The dermatologists were a little TOO successful in their campaign against skin cancer from sun exposure.

Current research tells us that if you can get about 10 minutes a week of direct sunshine even on just hands and face, that should do it. Where I live, many months of the year, that is an impossibility. So I supplement both myself and my DD.

We use Baby D Drops. The d vi sol ones she puked right up every time.

HTH
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Here is LLLI's most recent statement on vitamin D.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I supplement with vit D right now, but I did not during the summer when ds was getting daily sunshine.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Discussing with my sister she was shocked that my LO is 6 months old and exclusively breast fed and my peditrician never told me to give vitamin drops. Hers recomended it from the beginning. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anewmommie View Post
    So I just read this in American Baby magazine, and have never heard or seen it elsewhere....

Q: I've breastfed my baby since birth. Will this cause him to be deficient in Vitamin D?
    A: Human milk doesn't contain much Vitamin D. Besides hurting calcium absorption and bone development.... can also cause irritability, slow growth, delayed motor skill development. So if you're breastfeeding, give your baby liquid supplements of 400 IU per day, starting at birth and continuing until adolescence. Babies on formula don't need supplements until they're getting less than 32 ounces of formula daily.

Sooooo... Am I supposed to be giving my DS Vitamin D? And is it just me, or does the wording of the answer here sound almost anti-BF?
    Maybe not so much anti breastfeeding but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about or I am making generalizations. Not all breastfed baby's are going to need this, but it makes it sound like if you don't give your LO 400 IU per day your going to have a brittle, cranky, tiny, slow baby.

They also don't mention that babies absorb nearly all mom's Vit D but hardly any synthetic - which is why you've got to take so much and why babies have to drink 32 oz or more of formula to get the benefits.
    There are people at risk for Vitamin D deficiency, yes they should take it! Your Dr should tell you who you are, not a magazine.

But you just can't blanket statement this sort of stuff, not every baby needs supplements every day of the year.

What the medical community and LLLI are saying now about the dietary vitamin D is that whether your baby gets enough from your milk depends on if you (mom) have enough of it in your body. Many mothers do not have enough vitamin D themselves.

One option is to get your own levels tested. What you find out may not only help you decide whether your baby needs a supplement, but whether you might need to make some adjustments in your own lifestyle and diet.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Hmmm thankyou all for your information and input! I definitely have to look into it.. MOST days he does get a good deal of sunshine, but even here in Texas it has been chilly the last few days! I will have to ask the doctor at his next appointment if he thinks it is necessary or if DS is getting enough.
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!