Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is baby overweight?

Default How much is too much?

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I have read for awhile for tips and knowledge but now I have a post of my own. My daughter is 4 months yesterday and she is weighing in at 17.5 lbs. (25 3/4 inches long) She has only had breatmilk since day one. The pedi said she is in the 99th percentile for her weight but not to worry, but I am kind of worried. She still eats every 2.5-3 hours like clockwork. I know eating like that is normal but he wants me o try to aim for 4 every 4 hours, we tried that at 2 months and it just didn't work for us. She used to sleep 10 hours a night now she wants to nurse every 1/5-3 hours at night. I'm not complaining, I don't mind but am just concerned that at each checkup she is gaining more and more weight. I know bf babies are less likely to be overweight but my LO is a little chunky monkey. Any advise or related situations?
    Last edited by @llli*babydees225; December 18th, 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: title change

Default Re: Is baby overweight?

Hi mama!

Has she always been a chunky monkey?

Our LO got really plumped up for a couple months, and then had a really big growth spurt. Then he thinned back out again cause he got taller....maybe that's it?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

They also get fat just before they start to do something - like walk or crawl - so they have enough energy in their body to keep trying.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

i also have a chunky one! my lg has gained about 5 pounds since birth (7lbs 11oz), and she is only 6 weeks old today.. and about 12 1/2 lbs... AND she's having a growth spurt right now, so she'll probably tack on another 6oz or so in the next couple days.. she is also in the highest%, but our ped told us to not worry about it too much..but he did mention that i should not be "comfort" feeding her, if she's just fussy.. i.e., make sure she's truly hungry before feeding her.

i'll probably still comfort feed her on occasion.. i'm not too worried about it..i was an exclusively bf baby, and was very chunky, but slimmed out once i hit preschool/kindergarten..

be glad you have a healthy, thriving, bf baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Hi mama!

Has she always been a chunky monkey?

Our LO got really plumped up for a couple months, and then had a really big growth spurt. Then he thinned back out again cause he got taller....maybe that's it?
    My DS has always been in the 97-99% percentile in weight and height. I think that when they start to walk the thin out a little and as Hillary said, babies usually chunk up then get taller, and keep repeating !

I think that as long as DD is following her own curve (meaning not all of a sudden going from the 60% to the 99% percentile) then she's fine. My doc says infants can't be obese really if they are on BM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I think it is almost impossible for an exclusivly bf baby to overeat. It is common for ebf babies to gain a lot of their weight in the first 6 months or so and then slow down a bit after that. The growth curve of an ebf baby is different of a formula fed one. Here is a link that may help - http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...t-toomuch.html

It's normal for us mom's to worry about our lo's. Mine have always been on the lower end of the growth curve. Just try not to worry too much!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

She has always steadily gained weight since birth. She just looks o the chunky side for the last two months. I know chunky babies are cute but the omgosh she is a chunker comment is getting old.
    Mommy to Baby London on 8-19-08 after 18 hours of labor and a determined vaginal delivery!

Birth: 7lbs. 11.9oz.
    4 Months: 17lbs. 5oz.

I have gotten those types of comments too, and I used to get realllllly annoyed. Now I look at it differently, I am super proud of my ebf growing girl! Go mama! Be proud!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Default Re: How much is too much?

She still eats every 2.5-3 hours like clockwork. I know eating like that is normal but he wants me o try to aim for 4 every 4 hours, we tried that at 2 months and it just didn't work for us.
    It's great that you followed your baby's lead instead of your pediatrician's advice to stretch out your baby's feedings! Because- all due respect to your pediatrician- that was bad advice. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement on Breastfeeding, "After breastfeeding is well established, the frequency of feeding may decline to approximately 8 times per 24 hours, but the infant may increase the frequency again with growth spurts or when an increase in milk volume is desired." Your doc's advice to feed your baby every 4 hours would have resulted in a maximum of 6 feedings in 24 hours, which the AAP says is NOT ENOUGH.

Please don't worry about your baby's weight. It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to gain weight very rapidly in the first half of the first year. In the second half of the first year the weight gain slows waaay down as the baby becomes mobile and starts investing her calories in motion instead of in chub.

What percentile is your baby in for height? Are her height and weight percentiles similar? If so, all they are saying is that she's proportional.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

babydees225, do not worry about your round little fatty. An exclusively breastfed baby can never be overweight. Your pediatrians advise is #1 very stupid i.e. how indeed do you make a baby wait 4 hours between feedings-this same advise was given to my grandmother in 1944 when her first child was born and she promptly ignored it. Doctors change their opinions but mom has always known best. #2 His advise goes against all that we know about breastfeeding and indeed all that is recommended. You should only be feeding on demand. No stretching out of feedings. Do not 2nd guess yourself!

As for myself, I have grown 2 fat babies.

My first is a girl. I was so worried about her and always assumed her weight gain was because she was bottlefed. She was one chubby little monkey, even into toddlerhood. But now I realize how silly it was. She is 7 and grew out of her baby fat just fine and is now quite athletic.

My second is a boy. He was born 11 pounds, weighed 22 pounds at 4 months and at 8.5 months is now about 25 pounds. He was way off the charts. I breastfed him on demand and he gained weight even faster than my daughter. No bottles to blame, this time. At about 3 or 4 months, he started moving towards the chart. His doctor, who incidentally, is a mother herself, is not worried and never has given me any silly advice. She figures he'll end up on the 90% percentile. His weight has slowed way way down so I am not worried. His doctor said he will be tall. Maybe or maybe not.

The point is, there is plenty of time for you to make your children obese. When they are nursing is not the time and indeed, breastfeeding reduces their risk of obesity. It will be up to you, once he starts solids to teach him about how to eat a balanced meal, how to enjoy fruits and vegetables and how to participate in physical activities and sports. Not to sit around watching t.v. eating hamburgers and Coke. When he's 18, he'll be on his own.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.