Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't take BM from a bottle...Help!!

Default Baby won't take BM from a bottle...Help!!

My son is almost 3 mo. old and I have to go back to work in 2 weeks. I am planning on pumping so he can continue to get as much BM as possible. The problem is, he will not take my milk from a bottle. The weird part is, he takes formula from a bottle just fine. He's had the occasional bottle of formula from the beginning (he was severely dehydraded because my milk took forever to come in so we had to supplement at first) but for the most part he is only breastfed.

How do I get him to take my milk from a bottle???

Also, an off topic question, but what bottles do you ladies recommend storing my milk in? I won't be able to pump enough to freeze any of it, so I was thinking I would skip the storage bags. He will basically be consuming what I pump the same day or the next.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Baby won't take BM from a bottle...Help!!

Have you read any info about lipase issues in breastmilk? Since your saying you know he will take a bottle just not breastmilk this could be the issue. Also have you tried offering it at different temperatures? Are you the one offering the bottle or do you have someone else doing it?

Here is the thread on lipase - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Thanks for the quick response - I hadn't heard of lipase issues until now. I have tried offering a bottle of EBM at different temperatures and from different people and it didn't matter. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to scald my milk at work, if excess lipase is the issue. So, tomorrow I'm going to pump and wait a few hours before scalding half of it. I'll try to give my son the non-scalded milk first, and if he doesn't take it, try the scalded milk and hope for the best. I am really wary of microwaving it and from what I have read the consensus on whether or not it's a good idea is mixed.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I also had a problem getting my ds to drink from a bottle when I first went back to work. In our case the problem was the bottle so once I switched (from Medela to Born Free) everything was fine. I realize your issue is different since baby is drinking formula from the bottle. On your second question about storing your milk - what type of pump are you using? I use a Medela pump so I pump and store in Medela bottles. I was then transferring the milk to the Born Free bottles to take to daycare. Now that my ds is drinking from a sippy cup I actually bring the breastmilk to daycare in the storage bags and they pour it into the cup when he is ready to drink it.