Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constantly pacifying

Default constantly pacifying

Hi I'm jessica, a first time mother. My son Kai is now 4 weeks old today. The only way I can calm my son down is if i nurse him. I literally nurse all day long. Sometimes for hours. If he falls asleep and I move him he wakes up and then just wants to go back to nursing. He is gaining weight. He has frequent wet diapers. His bowel movements are spaced but i've been told at my LLL meeting as well as by the pediatrician that this is perfectly normal. I love nursing him and i realize infants need to be nursed sometimes every hour and a half but nursing him for hours on straight is really taking a toll on me. Is this appropriate behavior? Just now he nursed for 40 minutes straight, fell asleep for 5 and something triggered him to wake up (while on my lap and I was typing this) and now he wants my nipple back in his mouth. He isnt swallowing he is just constantly pacifying on me. PLEASE HELP :**(. If I start to walk him or try another method to calm him he just sits there and roots and cries.

Default Re: constantly pacifying

It can be very difficult! I agree that it is completely normal at that age. It will get better. Have you tried wearing baby in a sling or other carrier? Sometimes that may settle them w/ out nursing.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

While that is very taxing on mama - both physically and mentally, it is typical of a newborn to "behave" that way i'ts their instinct to stay fed and comforted.

This link might offer something useful (or encouraging) to help you through
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

is this something at a certain age i should eventually try to break or will it go away on his own?

the sling idea has been mentioned to me. i have a carrier but it is not as close as a sling any suggestions on a good sling?

As your baby grows older and becomes more aware of their environment I think this is something that will pass. Of course he will probably continue to want to nurse frequently and for comfort, but the constant nursing really does ease up alot!

You should check out the babywearing section of the forum for lots of ideas for different carriers.

Jenn

As he grows and gets better at nursing and as your supply regulates he will start to empty your breast faster and space out his feedings more and you won't be quite so in demand. Also, keep in mind that 4 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt, where he will need to nurse more frequently because he needs extra milk and he's trying to increase your supply. After a few days to a week your supply will match his needs and the growth spurt will subside and he'll nurse less frequently.

I know it can be hard in the beginning, but it will get easier soon. For now just try to relax and make sure you have a comfortable place to nurse with water, snacks, something to read or a tv to watch and settle in with your baby. They aren't this small and needy for very long.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thanks for the support and idea on the sling. I will certainly try it out. A part of me just needed to be told everything was normal and ok. Not sure why but oh well. I was in tears all day today over it.

It's normal and everything will definitely be OK. You are doing a great job, mama. Anytime you have questions, need advice, or just want some sympathetic ears, this is a great place to come and get it.

“We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*icka View Post
    thanks for the support and idea on the sling. I will certainly try it out. A part of me just needed to be told everything was normal and ok. Not sure why but oh well. I was in tears all day today over it.

Jenn

icka, you can try swaddling him, then feeding him. He'll be less likely to wake up again if swaddled and you can put him down and give yourself a break. They have these new swaddle-wraps now, that just velcro on, they are easy to use.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.