Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible?

Question Is it possible?

Hi i have a question for all those you have expercice or have breastfed. Is it possible to lose your milk even though your breastfeeding every time your baby wants??? not sumplementing with anything??? i have some friends who say there milk dryed out so they were not able to breastfeed honesty i think they sumplemented more each day.. what do ladies think. how can a person dry up??? Thank you for all your help.

Default Re: Is it possible?

In the first few weeks of your baby's life is when you establish you milk. You kinda start your demand/supply rythm. You dry up when you stop demanding. KWIM? If you feed when your baby is hungry (newborn every hr or so, and toddler every 3-4 hours maybe) you shouldnt dry up. Starting solids/sippy cups is when your baby stop needing so much time at the breast and your supply will decrease but will even out with your baby needs. does that answer your question?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennyann2008 View Post
    Hi i have a question for all those you have expercice or have breastfed. Is it possible to lose your milk even though your breastfeeding every time your baby wants??? not sumplementing with anything??? i have some friends who say there milk dryed out so they were not able to breastfeed honesty i think they sumplemented more each day.. what do ladies think. how can a person dry up??? Thank you for all your help.
    I agree with pp. I think that people's milk dries up because they are not feeding as often as their baby wants. In the first couple weeks of your baby's life, it is important to let them nurse as much as they want. This tells your body how to meet your baby's needs. If you supplement, you are telling your body not to make milk. KWIM?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

There are certain medical conditions that can cause your milk to dry up, but they are pretty rare. Thyroid problems, breast tissue damage, chronic dehydration things like that can cause you not to produce enough milk even if you nurse as frequently as possible. I think the statistic is that they can affect 5% of women so it is possible, but rare. Most of the time when a mothers milk dries up I think the problem is, in reality, misinformation and lack of support.

Also, certain medications like hormonal birth control, decongestants, allergy meds can affect milk supply.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Most of the time when a mothers milk dries up I think the problem is, in reality, misinformation and lack of support.

I think there are some common mistakes that lead women to believe that their milk is drying up. For example, a baby's increased feeding frequency during a growth spurt can cause a woman to think that her milk supply has dropped. Misleading growth charts, created with data drawn from a population of formula-fed babies, can convince a mother that her baby must not be getting enough because his weight gain doesn't match the ideal on the charts. And there are lots of old wives' tales that can fool a nursing mom, like "Your milk dries up once you get your period back" or "Breastmilk isn't enough for a large baby."

And then there are some common mistakes that women make that cause their milk to dry up. Supplementing with formula is often a slippery slope to milk supply failure, as the more supplement is given, the less breastmilk is taken in and, consequently, produced. Failure to feed on demand is another mistake that can quickly lead to a reduced milk supply.

just to add, I think that many woman think that because their bodies have regulated their milk supply and they don't have the engoraged feeling anymore that it means their milk is gone.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Most of the time when a mothers milk dries up I think the problem is, in reality, misinformation and lack of support.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I agree with everything the pp's have said... I would just also add that occassionally a problem like tongue tie or a poor latch might cause inadequate milk transfer which could also affect supply. But those things are easily resolvable with the help of a board certified LC or your pediatrician (in the case of tongue tie).
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.