Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: random bf questions

Default random bf questions

Hello - I finally have overcome all the initial bfing questions from nipple pain to latch problems, but now I have some random questions if anyone can provide some insight...

My daughter is 3.5 weeks old.
    1) Many times she's so sleepy at night that she's not able to get a burp out. Is that okay? She seems to grunt a little when I put her down to sleep, but she'll eventually settle into deeper sleep.

2) Does spitting up mean she's eating too much and she's done with the feeding session -- therefore no need to offer up the second breast? I usually work hard to wake her up enough get her to take the second breast and i'm wondering if I should even go through all the trouble if she's already spit up some of the milk from the first breast?

3) If I nurse on one side and switch breasts, sometimes the first breast she nursed on is still leaking.. does that mean she didn't "empty" out the first breast good enough?

Thanks to anyone who has some thoughts...

Default Re: random bf questions

1) Many times she's so sleepy at night that she's not able to get a burp out. Is that okay? She seems to grunt a little when I put her down to sleep, but she'll eventually settle into deeper sleep.
    So long as she seems comfortable, it's fine that you're not getting burps out. Breastfed babies tend to take in less air than bottlefed ones, and consequently need less burping.

2) Does spitting up mean she's eating too much and she's done with the feeding session -- therefore no need to offer up the second breast?
    No, spitting up is just a normal part of being a baby. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being overfull. If your baby will take the second breast, then she's still hungry.

3) If I nurse on one side and switch breasts, sometimes the first breast she nursed on is still leaking.. does that mean she didn't "empty" out the first breast good enough?
    Don't worry about it. Sometimes when your milk is letting down in breast B, breast A lets down as well. This can happen even when you're emptied breast A very well. Your breasts are never really empty, since milk is always being made. Also, since you've only been nursing for 3.5 weeks, your body is still adjusting and figuring out how much milk it really should be making. Eventually the leaking will stop.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"