Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply?

Default oversupply?

Since DD can't nurse, and hasn't since birth, I have EP'd for the last 5 weeks since she was born. I started pumping, using the hospital's Lactina pump, about 4 hours after birth, and the nurses were all amazed at how much colostrum I was able to pump.
    When I was discharged and came to the hospital where she is in the NICU, they brought me a Symphony 2.0 pump, and I have used that ever since, unless I am out and then I use a PISA.
    I had never heard of oversupply before; when I nursed DS I had a lot of problems with low supply, so this time I have been ecstatic to have so much milk. Now I am wondering if it is a good thing that I have so much...
    Like I said, I EP, and I get at least 6 oz each time I pump, sometimes closer to 10 or 12 oz (total, both sides). I actually kept track for one 24 hour period and pumped over a gallon (64 oz) in that amount of time. The NICU already has a ton of my milk stored, more than DD will need while we're here I'm sure, so I have been giving the extra EBM to my chronically constipated 2 year old nephew, and it has really helped him. I'm wondering if it's a bad thing that I am making so much, or if, since the milk is being put to good use, it's ok to let my supply stay high? Essentially I guess I'm "nursing" a 2 year old and a newborn...
    mama to Noah (5/14/06) and Faith (11/13/08), my miracle nurser, now allowed to breastfeed 4 times a day! (gastroschisis, intestinal failure, liver damage, 24-hour g-tube feeds and TPN 18 hours a day)
    read our blog

Default Re: oversupply?

Do you think you will ever be able to nurse from the breast? Are you thinking you will have to EP for a long time?? Or do you think you will try to get the baby back to breast eventually?

I don't have experience with EPing, but I would imagine that an oversupply would only cause you issues if you tried to nurse again. I found that when I went back to work I could pump more than my baby nursed and that has been a difficult adjustment for us.

If you are not planning to nurse - I can't imagine that your oversupply would cause you much trouble - I did find that my body got used to pumping at certain times and I would feel very full or even engorged if I didn't keep up with my routine.

Good for you for passing your milk along to your nephew. I have had oversupply issues and have frozen PLENTY of milk for my 6 mo. old. So, any extra that she doesn't use when I pump or hand express, I give to my toddler in a sippy cup. It's so healthy for him!

Hope that helps.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I should be able to nurse from the breast, hopefully in a few weeks if she tolerates feeds and gets up to full feeds, and when she is able to have the long-chain fats in breastmilk. So far the most she's ever been fed is 6 ml at a time, through a tube. I think my supply is regulating somewhat, I'm not getting quite as much as I was before, but I know it's still more than a newborn would normally get (at least 6 oz per pumping session).
    Will my supply regulate to just producing what she needs when she is able to start nursing? Should I start skipping pumping sessions or something to get it to drop a little before she is going to start nursing, to avoid the issues that come with nursing with oversupply?
    mama to Noah (5/14/06) and Faith (11/13/08), my miracle nurser, now allowed to breastfeed 4 times a day! (gastroschisis, intestinal failure, liver damage, 24-hour g-tube feeds and TPN 18 hours a day)
    read our blog

Do you think that you could find a really good LC? Is there one at the hospital that could help you? (Sometimes, I've heard, the ones at the hospital aren't that great or helpful - I found mine through a health store in my area - she practices privately and is AWESOME!)

Anyway, that might be the best way to find out what you should do. I think you will probably appreciate being in touch with an LC when you try to start nursing. Again, i haven't had experience with this, but I've heard it can be tricky...

BTW, I wouldn't skip a pumping session. For now, I think it would be ok to pump regularly, whenever you think your lo would be eating ( like every 3-4 hours or whatever). I would be concerned about your supply dropping if you dropped a pump session.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, and congratulations on your new BABY!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I'm sure I can find someone. My midwife has recommended someone down here, who she met at a conference, so I will probably contact her. This is so different for me, after struggling for a year with my son to have enough milk!
    read our blog

That 's great if you can find someone... mine has been a lifesaver.

I've heard that it is pretty normal for moms to make more milk the second time around. It's like your body just figures out what to do. I have definitely made more milk!

I had a friend who had to supplement with her first baby after 6-7 weeks of nursing. With the second baby she EBF for 16 mo!

Good luck! Hope all goes well for you!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

DS wasn't latching properly so the hospital gave me a Symphony to take home and I just exclusively pumped and tried to get LO on breast. Well right around 2 months realized that my freezer stash was huge (600 oz) wanted to start dropping pumps. That just made me make more. I went from 8 down to 6 a day. So I found this website and realized that all the things the EPing site said to do wasn't what I really wanted if I was going to BF ever. And guess what? LO latched on and here I am in a situation. LO nor my breats can keep up with my supply. It wants out! So I can relate. I am trying to lower my supply. And yes I do have the OALD. Yuck! Poor little guy is prob wondering why I changed things up on him. He had it nice with a bottle. No work to get that milk and it never shot him in the face!