Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yeast or some kind of rash on areola

Default Yeast or some kind of rash on areola

I need help/advice/suggestions.

DS and I had thrush when he was a newborn. We treated with ointment on me and liquid in his mouth. The medication name is escaping me right now. But it's the "standard" med. So, that took care of it.
    Fast forward. DS is about 28 mos old now. Sometimes, maybe once a month or something, I get this rash on my areola. In a perfect circle around my nipples, exactly where his lips are when he nurses. It's red, and looks kinda raised, but if I touch it, it doesnt feel raised. I dont think I see any yeast in his mouth. It usually happens on/after a day that he has nursed a LOT. He usually nurses frequently, but sometimes he increases and thats usually when it happens, I think. It feels very irritated, tender, sore, and isnt comfortable to nurse when it's like that. Of course, we nurse anyway.

Any help, suggestions, ideas, advice is Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Yeast or some kind of rash on areola

Sorry to hear you're having this rash.

It sounds like you may have used Nystatin before.

It is possible to have thrush on you, but no signs in baby's mouth (as it sounds like you know). Still treat both though, to prevent passing it back and forth. Nystatin is the first medication option listed for both mother and baby in the Breastfeeding Answer Book.

With thrush, nipples can look normal, or they might look pink or red. Sometimes they're shiny or flaky. Sometimes there's a rash with tiny blisters.

You might want to read through this to see if it sounds like you are dealing with thrush. Be sure to post again or send me a PM if it doesn't or if you need more info. Good luck! This must be uncomfortable for you, but it's great to hear you're meeting your son's needs anyway.
    Sue
    LLL Leader

Sue, thanks for the reply.

I read the link you posted. The only "symptom" from that list that I have is the nipple pain when breastfeeding. But I wouldnt call it intense. It's just uncomfortable/irritating.

Because you mentioned this happening after he has nursed a lot in a day, it is possible that his latch is causing some irritation. It's not only newborns who have latch issues sometimes. Sometimes toddlers, even those who have succesfully breastfed, can develop a "lazy" latch, for lack of a better term. Does it seems like he stays latched deep onto the areola for the entire feeding, or is he possibly slipping down more toward the nipple? If he does slip down, that can certainly cause irritation. To correct it, unlatch him, ask him to "open wide" (maybe even demonstrating it at the same time) and relatch him.

I hope this is helping. Sometimes it's hard to figure out a problem through messages only!
    Sue
    LLL Leader

That could definitely be at least part of the problem. He nurses frequently, especially for being 2y/o+, in my opinion. He nurses like an infant, or even moreso. And sometimes he does nurse "weird" like pulling away and stuff (I think because he wants the comfort and not so much the milk).

Yep, that sounds like pretty typical nursing behavior for his age. My children did the same, even though it probably seems unusual. Hopefully you'll be able to work through it! My best.
    Sue
    LLL Leader