Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping a lot today....

Default Sleeping a lot today....

LO vomitted once, violently yesterday. It was coming out her nose, she was gasping, it terrified me.

She recovered well and went back to normal for the rest of the day. Today, she's sleeping a lot. She's barely had any awake time at all although she has been waking for her feedings every 2 - 3 hours and feeding as normal.

She doesn't feel feverish. My digital thermometer doesn't really seem to work correctly when used under her arm and I was told not to take temperature rectally. I'm thinking of going out and picking up an ear thermometer so I can be sure.

At what point do you get concerned?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Sleeping a lot today....

The ear is the least accurate in a baby that young. Why did they say not to take rectally?

Nolan had a couple days like that that we freaked out cause he was sleeping so much. We called the doc and she said that if diapers are in check and everything else seems "normal" it is most likely a growth spurt.

I don;t know about the vomiting though...maybe just coincidental?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Apparently they don't recommend it any more as people have injured babies doing it. They only recommend under the arm. But it takes the digital thermometer forever and it doesn't even get up to "normal" temperatures when it does register something.

Oh - diapers are normal. There's no other change, other than sleeping more.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Apparently they don't recommend it any more as people have injured babies doing it. They only recommend under the arm. But it takes the digital thermometer forever and it doesn't even get up to "normal" temperatures when it does register something.

Oh - diapers are normal. There's no other change, other than sleeping more.
    Sheesh! How far do they think it needs to go?

Maybe just get a newer axillary. We have one that takes the temp in 5 seconds. It has worked pretty well for us.

Nolan slept a ton through his first couple growth spurts. Eat, sleep, eat, sleep....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Yeah - I thought it was odd not to take it rectally. I mean, I worked in vet clinics for over a decade. All of the animals temperatures are taken rectally - and that was with a glass one!! Digital ones weren't common place then.

I agree that rectally is the most accurate - people just need to know HOW before they start doing it.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

I agree that rectally is the most accurate - people just need to know HOW before they start doing it.
    I just make DH do it! He's a paramedic!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

my dr said he would take my number of my dd's temp if it was any way BUT the BUTT

But they make safer ones now... mine is dummy proof..it widens at the spot I am supposed to stop..

and you lo is prob just catching up on need rest from a rough day yest! I wouldn't worry to much for that concern at least just yet!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

LO vomitted once, violently yesterday.
    She recovered well and went back to normal for the rest of the day. Today, she's sleeping a lot....she has been waking for her feedings every 2 - 3 hours and feeding as normal.

At what point do you get concerned?
    I'm so sorry your baby isn't feeling well. Thank goodness she's nursing well... A wonderful plus of nursing is that she will be receiving all your antibodies to help her feel better soon. How old is your baby?

Is she still having plenty of wet/poopy diapers? This is key, since dehydration is often a concern with vomitting, so keep nursing on-cue... you may want to offer the breast a little bit more often since nursing can be very comforting to a sick baby.

You may want to call your ped and discuss what's going on, just to be sure, though. Many times a mother can take a baby's temp under their arm and add a degree... but your ped may want you to call and ask. Don't be shy to call them, either. They're so very used to concerned parents. Continue to listen to your mommy instincts, as well.

take care!
    Carla
    LLL Leader