Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does my 2 month old need vitamins?

Default Does my 2 month old need vitamins?

I just took my daughter to her 2 month appointment (those 4 shots were traumatic, to say the least, but that's another story!) and because I'm exclusively BFing, the pediatrician prescribed me some infant vitamin drops that she should take every day. This morning, I gave them to her for the first time and she immediately threw them back up, crying.

My question - are these vitamins really necessary? I'm already taking my prenatal vitamins every day - shouldn't she already get the necessary nutrients from my breast milk? Or should I continue to try to give them to her even though she seems to hate them? I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Default Re: Does my 2 month old need vitamins?

Here's a link that might help you http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

What sort of vitamins did the Dr say to take?

Thanks for the link! I should've checked the FAQ.

It's just a multi-vitamin - they're called Poly-Vitamin drops. I've heard of babies needing extra Vitamin D, but not just a general multi-vitamin. She's a bit smaller than average (currently 9 lbs, 6oz and was born at 5 lbs, 8) but I don't see a reason why she'd need supplementary vitamins.

It seems from what the LLL says that they're unnecessary.

i had a very small baby, and never heard anything about these drops. so maybe you will be okay without them. i'd ask your pedi why he/she thought your LO needed them.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    i'd ask your pedi why he/she thought your LO needed them.
    it seems like sometimes Dr's just do this for all babies regardless - so asking for specifics might help if your on the fence about it. I don't think that it's necessary for all babies all of the time - we as a human race have thrived thus far without Poly-Vitamin drops!

Mostly with the PPs, but there are some new recommendations on Vitamin D. This is the AAP paper on which the recommendation is based.

Basically, if you rarely go outside, use sunblock as recommended, live at a high latitude or in a cloudy part of the globe, or your baby has dark skin color, Vit. D supplementation is probably a good idea.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only vitamin supplement my doctor and my pediatrician want LO on is Vitamin D. We use D-Vi-Sol:

Simply most people have a vitamin D deficiency and we don't pass enough vitamin D in our milk. So it's needed to supplement. If your diet is not balanced, you shouldn't need anything beyond the vitamin D for LO.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks for all of the replies! I'll look into a Vitamin D supplement. Though we live in sunny Southern California, so once this rain we're having stops, I'm assuming a little outside time will be enough for her!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lisana View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies! I'll look into a Vitamin D supplement. Though we live in sunny Southern California, so once this rain we're having stops, I'm assuming a little outside time will be enough for her!
    OT, where do you live mama? There are a few of us in So Cal that get together from time to time...you should meet us for our next one!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

This is a great question. It can definitely be uncomfortable and confusing when your ped says your breastfed baby needs any type of supplement, too. Generally, for almost all healthy, full-term babies, vitamin supplements aren't necessary. (Some premature babies may need extra vitamins and minerals, though.) A few minutes of sunlight per day can give a baby enough vitamin D. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests vitamin D supplementation before six months of age "in selected groups of infants (for infants whose mothers are vitamin D deficient or those infants not exposed to adequate sunlight...)."

Some babies *can* be at greater risk to develop a deficiency in vitamin D,
    increasing the chance of them getting a disease called rickets... Those who have dark skin, wear more clothing and sunscreen while outside, live somewhere where there isn't enough sun (like Alaska), live in an area with heavy pollution (pollution can block the sun's rays) or mom is vitamin D deficient herself. But, generally, most babies don't need any vitamin supplements.

Here's some more info on vitamin supplementation for the breastfed baby...

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug04p124.html
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep03p75.html

Take care!
    Carla
    LLL Leader