Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipple Technique

Default Flipple Technique

Can anyone describe the Flipple Technique or tell me a website with information about it? I haven't been able to find any info on the web. Thanks.

Default Re: Flipple Technique

I've been looking for this too. I can't believe there is so little information out there on this very useful technique, perhaps it is out there, but not called by that name. I first saw the Flipple technique in the Follow Me Mum DVD, which my LLL leader showed to me. Other members of my group also know how to do this.

I believe I saw it in a breastfeeding book also, but so far, its not in any that I have on hand, include the Breastfeeding Answer Book, which is the most comprehensive book on breastfeeding.

These posters are the best I can find so far. The idea is to press the baby's lower jaw down with your breast, then bring baby onto the breast. The idea is to focus on getting an asymetrical latch, that is, you want to focus on getting the aerola below your nipple in the baby's mouth. The nipple is supposed to follow. In fact, when I was learning, somehow my nipple didn't follow, but that happened only a couple times until I got the hang of it, LOL. The benefit of this method is you don't have to wait for baby to open super wide before you latch on. I sure hope someone out there can explain it better than me. Anyway, once you get it working, you get more breast in the baby's mouth than the traditional, tickle, baby open mouth, then latch method.

http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...chment_big.jpg

The verbal description on this first poster doesn't describe it like I've been taught to do it. The way we do it in my group is: you make contact between baby's lower lip and your breast, press down on his lower jaw to get the max amount of aerola in his mouth, then bring baby onto the breast, and your nipple follows. Its called Flipple because your nipple kind of does a 'flip' as you can see from the poster.

http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...aching_big.jpg
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 17th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Just a coupel of days ago, I found a video online that showed how it was done. I just tried to find it again and could not find it. I'll keep looking.

The way the video showed it was to touch the nipple to the baby's top lip and then "roll" it into their mouth when the open. The video did not have any narration, so I'm not sure if it was trying to protray opening baby's mouth or not.

I tried to get this to work, but I still feel like I don't get the jaw side of the mouth very deep an the areola.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

I've never heard it called this, but I *think* the technique you describe is talked about in Dr. Jack Newman's handout "when latching". Should be somewhere on his site under breastfeeding help. Sorry I can't link on my PDA.

HTH
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

This is Dr Newman's page that you are referring to. Its an excellent page with many helpful points and shows the area of the breast the baby needs to be latched onto.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/When%20Latching.asp

Its different from what I've described above, though. Dr Newman describes the traditional way of latching on, which, for the best latch, depends on the baby opening wide. It can be very frustrating when baby is hungry and is not opening wide enough. You try again and again, but still not wide enough. You finally latch baby on, but the latch is too shallow and your nipples get sore. At least this was my experience with this method. I'm sure Dr Newman recommends it because it works for many women. The one time I got a really great latch with this method, DS was screaming his head off and his mouth was open REALLY wide. The latch was the most comfortable ever, for me, but obviously you can't have the baby screaming like that before every feed.

The latch I was describing, you still need the baby opening his mouth, with his tongue forward as shown in Dr Newman's page. However, the difference is, you are helping the baby open his mouth wider by pressing down on his lower jaw, gently with your breast. Then you are kind of rolling your breast into his mouth, while bringing baby onto your breast, and your nipple follows.

I sure hope we can find a video on this. I think it would be great if the LLLi website would have videos clips, I know they would help alot of women.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 17th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

This animation on kellymom kind of demonstrates the "flipple technique"- it shows well how to start entering the mouth toward the lower jaw and then roll up to the upper lip with the nipple at the top.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Also from kellymom...

This one the text is in russian, so i doubt many of us will benefit from the text, but the animation is good:
    http://users.iptelecom.net.ua/~vylkas/kinolatch.html
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

My apologies, Dr. Newman describes this technique for babies who just immediately slurp the nipple in. It's in his book, not the website. Still a pretty brief description. I'll try to cut and paste later from my desktop.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Sorry if this is a repeat of the other posts:
    http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...0Animation.swf

Its described in the book Breastfeeding Made Simple and this is from their website. HTH
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

that was the animation i had seen earlier this week but couldn't find again. i think it looks weird because of the way it is turned- who typically feeds their baby with breast on the bottom??

I've been trying this technique for the last two days and have noticed clicking and air sounds that weren't there before. I wonder if I'm focusing too much on the asymmetrical latch that I'm not sandwiching enough to get it deep in his mouth.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08