Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old slow in growth

Default 4 month old slow in growth

At two months, my daughter weighed 9 pounds. At four months, she weighs 10 pounds. I have a week to get her weight up.

What are some quick ways to increase my supply?

I'm taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal and drinking tons of water.

Also, I've switched to nursing her more frequently instead of just on demand. What else can I do?

Default Re: 4 month old slow in growth

I agree that not gaining enough weight can be a sign that you have low milk supply. However, that's not always the reason for low weight gain.

What other signs do you have that your baby isn't getting enough breastmilk? How many wet and poopy diapers per 24 hours does your baby have? Disposable diapers or Cloth? If disposable, how many pees total do you think she's having?

Also, is she meeting milestones and otherwise super healthy?

How often per day and night is she nursing?

Also, are you eating healthy and continuing to take your prenatal vitamins?

Do you have any health concerns like pcos or anemia that might impact your milk supply?

I don't have PCOS or anemia or any other health issues of which I'm aware.

She's usually in cloth but we recently moved across the country and she's been in sposies while we get settled. She has probably 6-8 wet diapers and about 4 soiled diapers each day. She had been eating 15-20 minutes every 4 hours or so during the day, but the night is what makes me really think we have problems. Starting about two weeks ago, she's been waking at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, and 7am before being up for good at 8am. She wants to eat every time she wakes. That's what makes me think it could be a supply issue.

Also, I tried to pump the other night and I only got one ounce from both breasts when I used to get 2-3 ounces from each.

Starting about two weeks ago, she's been waking at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, and 7am before being up for good at 8am. She wants to eat every time she wakes.
    This sounds pretty normal for a 4 month old, and to me would not be an indication of a supply problem. I'd suspect teething or an ear infection or a love of nighttime nursing before supply issues. Also, since she's eating so infrequently during the day, she's probably making up for those missed daytime calories at night. (Check out this article on reverse cycling.)

Also, I tried to pump the other night and I only got one ounce from both breasts when I used to get 2-3 ounces from each.
    Totally normal. First of all, pumping is not a good indication of how much milk your baby is getting while nursing. Second, it is normal for pumping output to drop after you have passed the first few weeks/months of engorgement and your supply has leveled out. When you were getting 4-6 oz of milk when pumping, you were probably making quite a bit more milk than your baby needed. Eventually your body got the message and started making the right amount of milk to meet your baby's needs, without a lot left over.

Since you moved cross-country, there's a possibility that the problem is not with your baby's weight gain but with the difference between your old pediatrician's scale and your new ped's scale. If your old ped's scale tended to overestimate your baby's weight, and your new ped's scale tends to underestimate, it could easily seem as if your child has gained very little in the last 2 months.

Your baby's diaper output sounds good, but if you're having trouble convincing your pediatrician that your baby is getting enough to eat, you might want to consider renting a professional scale. By weighing your baby before and after nursing, you can determine how much milk she's transferring during a feed. A log of feeding amounts can sometimes reassure a worried pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Your baby's diaper output sounds good, but if you're having trouble convincing your pediatrician that your baby is getting enough to eat, you might want to consider renting a professional scale. By weighing your baby before and after nursing, you can determine how much milk she's transferring during a feed. A log of feeding amounts can sometimes reassure a worried pediatrician.
    I like this idea but I'm not sure it will convince her. She listened to my description of feeding times and diaper output and said that she sounds like she should be getting enough but based on her weight, she clearly is not. It seems like she thinks there's no way someone can be healthy at her weight and age.

This is not her regular doctor, so I think as long as I can get a good gain by Monday, we'll be okay.

So there's a chance that things are going fine and she's just small?