Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still Demand Feeding?

Default Re: Still Demand Feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    There were a couple if questions in there.
    To answer the one about food, IME you need to be diligent about offering it. Even if it feels like a pain in the ass, and even if he isn't eating much. You should be involving him in the ritual of food AT LEAST three times a day. If you want him to be more interested in food while around you, you must make it a regular and consistent part of your days together.
    From what I've read ( I think it was the AAP's info) is that between 6 and 12 mos. of age, solids should be a compliment to breastmilk, a learning experience so to speak, but the majority of nutrition should come from breastmilk. After one year though, they need to move towards taking in more and more solids because they're nutritionally necessary at that point, not just for learning, and then need to be taking in most of their nutrition from solids.

We found it easiest to start solids when they were under a year by doing solids at normal meal times for our family. By the time they were a year old, that would mean that they were sitting down at the table with us as a family for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and possibly a late morning and late afternoon snack as well if they were hungry.

It's not as much of a paitb if you are feeding them what you're eating as a family, and doing meal times all together.

I found that once we made the switch from nursing before all solids before 1 year of age, to stopping doing that after 1 year, that it was also easier to encourage that they ate more during mealtime. Before 1 year, I'd have to work in time to nurse baby before meals, but afterwards, we could go with the flow, and just have lunch a 1/2 hour early or whatever.

I also found that after a year, it was more beneficial for my kids if I offered them a snack or a meal when they were hungry, and offered to let them nurse afterwards.

I guess, you could say that I stopped "demand" nursing them after a year. Though that's not really the intention though, iykwim. We just worked on teaching them how to eat regular solid food meals and teaching them to eat solid food when they were hungry and drink water when they were thirsty, instead of just looking to the breast to ease their hunger and thirst. I still nursed my oldest until age 2, and my youngest is still nursing now at age 2.5 and still breastfed them whenever they needed it, but offered solids and other beverages first to teach them how to satisfy those cravings without nursing...is that as clear as mud? lol.

Default Re: Still Demand Feeding?

My advice is to look at your baby instead of your baby's age. Some babies only need to nurse a couple of times a day at one year. When my daughter was one, she was nursing around 18 times a day (not counting the 2-second pop on and off thing she did a couple dozen more times a day.) Now, at 18 months, she's down to about 12 or 13 times a day. This is what she genuinely needs, and it's normal for her. If I don't feel up to nursing her when she asks, I offer substitutes. Water? Banana? Coloring together with crayons? A hug? If she turns down the substitutes, then I know she really needs to nurse and I let her. Kids are always meeting a need when they nurse. Cutting down on nursing sessions means you have to find out what need is being met and find another way to meet it--the need itself doesn't go away. Don't feel bad about setting limits if you feel like it's the best thing for your relationship, but also don't feel like you're obligated to set limits just because of your child's age. If it's working, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Every child will eventually be done with nursing. (Also--congratulations to you for making it to a year!! )