Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! Milk blister for 3 months!!!!!

Red face help! Milk blister for 3 months!!!!!

I have had a milk blister for over three months and it will not go away...it causes pain off and on and is a never ending battle! My baby is only 4 months old, so I have had this and the pain for most of my nursing time! I have punctured it with a needle, soaked it, put olive oil on it...what else??? HELP! Thanks!

Default Re: help! Milk blister for 3 months!!!!!

I had a similar saga from about 3-5 months. In my case it was a sort of scab after the blister that kept getting re-irritated (popping a scab does not work!) I have had other similar things for much shorter duration, and I use LOTS of lanolin. The first time when it was bad I ended up pumping that side for a week to give it time to rest. My biggest advice is see a doctor or IBCLC and let them look at it. It is really important that someone can check it out so thy can tell if it is a blister, bleb, or other thing that looks funny but should be treated differently. In my case, the advice I got over the phone and what they said when they actually saw it were very different. Hang in there, you're doing great.

Owww...
    I wonder about it being a standard milk blister as it isn't causing a blocked duct problem. You are very brave puncturing it
    I was told I had a milk blister, but never believed it, and never was brave enough to get a needle out...
    I think there are lots of things that can happen, and lots of them get lumped into the milk blister basket. Doing your own research is a must, as even a lactation consultant got me wrong - check out the kellymom webpage.
    I think my problem was reynold's phenomena constricting a duct, forcing milk into the surrounding tissue, looking very much like a milk blister, but no actual milk blocking a duct, and the trama bringing on reynold's phenomena, putting me into a pretty viscious circle. I had this "milk blister" problem for about 1.5 years and it finally went away when I managed to treat the reynold's phenomena.
    So look at what you see, and try to work from there.
    Do you have pain when you feed - if you have good latch this shouldn't be happening, if the pain occurs after feeding it may indicate something else.
    Good luck.

It looks like a pimple and gets white when she nurses. Sometimes the skin grows over and milk can't flow thru and it does hurt. The sore is what hurts...I've started putting her in the football hold instead of cradle to put the pressure elsewhere on the nipple. I just want the thing to go away!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*obb View Post
    Owww...
    I wonder about it being a standard milk blister as it isn't causing a blocked duct problem. You are very brave puncturing it
    I was told I had a milk blister, but never believed it, and never was brave enough to get a needle out...
    I think there are lots of things that can happen, and lots of them get lumped into the milk blister basket. Doing your own research is a must, as even a lactation consultant got me wrong - check out the kellymom webpage.
    I think my problem was reynold's phenomena constricting a duct, forcing milk into the surrounding tissue, looking very much like a milk blister, but no actual milk blocking a duct, and the trama bringing on reynold's phenomena, putting me into a pretty viscious circle. I had this "milk blister" problem for about 1.5 years and it finally went away when I managed to treat the reynold's phenomena.
    So look at what you see, and try to work from there.
    Do you have pain when you feed - if you have good latch this shouldn't be happening, if the pain occurs after feeding it may indicate something else.
    Good luck.
    One more thing...I think I have the reynold's phenomena issue too. At times my nipple will turn white and hurt until the pink returns...this happens when that blister is irritated or if she has nursed and milk was not flowing thru it! Also...interestingly yesterday was the first time that I felt a blocked duct---I totally freaked out and that's when I changed her position to put her chin on that area...luckily, it worked. What did you do to treat the R. phen??

Ouch! Warm compress and frequent nursing can help alleviate a milk blister. Hope that helps!
    Renee
    LLL Leader