Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really gassy baby

Default Really gassy baby

My baby is 5 months old and has really had bad gas since she was 2 months old. I mean she will cry and poot, cry and poot. She can pass gas as loud as my husband!!!LOL

I cannot pinpoint what is causing it. I eat many different things and each nothing that is a gassy food. She gets up almost every hour at night and I have to nurse her until she passes the gas, then she is back to sleep.

Should I change to formula?

Default Re: Really gassy baby

No don't switch to formula!! There's not guarantee that formula won't upset her stomach more. Chances are it will. Lots of babies are gassy, my neice is and she does the same as your lo. It will pass soon as her digestive system becomes more developed.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

No! Changing to formula will not help! BM is far more digestible for your lo. A couple things come to mind, Oversupply or Overactive let down. Either of those could possibly be your culprit.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

my LO is really gassy as well, he is 5 months as well. I was actually going to post the same thing. It gets really bad sometimes. He gets hysterical, and it worries me.

i could have overactive let down, but im not sure.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

I thought and read about overactivce letdown and oversupply. I have alot of milkas I can pump 4 ozs out of each breast. But when she eats we only nurse from one side, and the next time I switch breasts. She only eats about 10 minutes and then she is done.

It seems to be more at night and her gas smells really bad. Some times she will just cry alittle, other times it sounds like she was pinched and breaks my heart.

Smile Re: Really gassy baby

Have you already tried some brand of simeticone drops? Like Mylicon? Our baby is VERY gassy as she had stomach surgery and cannot burp anymore as a bad side effect. This makes for some horrible gas!
    Pumping your baby's legs will get the digestive tract moving, and I've found that personally when I sit my baby in a carseat or swing where she is reclined and her legs are a little elevated, she has an easier time passing gas.
    And you should try burping her more frequently throughout the feeding. A speech pathologist said that could help with excess gas (before she had her surgery). I dunno how hard it would be to get her to take breaks from chowing down to burp (as I am EPing not BFing) -- so I wouldn't know about that.

I dunno if you already tried all that, but if it helps, know you are not alone!

I also notice that any time I have gas, baby will usually be more gassy (as you said). So you could try jotting down the foods you eat too to find the pattern.

I would also think that formula would be a lot harder on the tummy. BM is bound to be better!
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well