Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Confusion

Question Nipple Confusion

Hey, I need latch help, and I don't know what to try.

What do I do for a 3-month-old who has never nursed at the breast or eaten orally (due to medical reasons), can't suck due to a large cleft palate, but loves her NUK pacificer (is very, very attached to it as she has had it throughout several surgerical recoveries) and can't figure out how to latch at the breast (and in fact never has). She is 3 months, and we are starting oral feeding for the first time this week -- I really want her to learn to latch so we can try a supplemental nurser thing -- that way when she finally has her palate repaired I can stop EPing!

Any tips will be great and much appreciated. Thank you!!!
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

Default Re: Nipple Confusion

Hi, there. :O)

It sounds like you're a little nervous and frustrated at the same time about your baby's latch-on difficulties. Working with an experienced LLL Leader and/or experienced LC will be very helpful in your special situation. It may take some extra time and patience on your part, too.

Because of your specific medical situation, switching back to the breast may take some extra steps, so keeping an open communication with your ped will be important.

Until then, lots of skin-to-skin will be proactive. You might try offering the breast when your baby's sleepy and/or not fussy. Other mothers have found that feeding with a cup, spoon, eyedropper, or feeding syringe for a day or so without offering the breast will help make the transition to the breast easier... no bottles, either (but, again, in your special situation, good communication with an experienced LC is important). Pacifiers won't be helpful, so don't use one until the transition is completed.

Good support will be very important to you all. Will you be able to attend LLL meetings in your area? Kudos to you for pumping all this time, too!!

take care!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

So should we just go cold turkey on the paci? She gets really mad!
    pumping sucks
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

p.s. do you think a Haberman / Special Needs Feeder would be better than a syringe (or cup etc)? She doesn't know what to do with her tongue and doesn't use it, and I was thinking that a Haberman bottle would coax her into using her tongue (as opposed to just squirting liquid in her mouth) in coordination with her swallow.
    And I have contacted my local leader! Thanks!!!!
    pumping sucks
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby

Try a Soothie brand paci. NUK's are notoriously known for being THE most common cause of nipple confusion! It almost ruined our nursing relationship over here! Stay away from all orthodontic-tipped pacis. Soothie actually helped my LO's latch.

When LO could't latch, I'd run my pointer finger around in a circle in her mouth until she could latch on to it. The Soothie looks like a pointed finger.

Good luck, mama!