Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help..Got to get a cavity filled.. what do I do about meds?

Default Help..Got to get a cavity filled.. what do I do about meds?

I have an appointment next Tuesday to get a cavity filled. My dentist knows I am breastfeeding and is going to give me a anesthesia that will only stay in my system for 2 to 3 hours as opposed to the regular anesthesia that stays for up to 8 hrs. He suggested that I pump before coming in order to have something to give her in those first couple of hours after he gives me the anesthesia. My lo is 7 months. If I nurse right before the appointment she will not want to nurse again for 3 or 4 hours anyway. These are my concerns. Even if the meds are out of my system in 2 to 3 hours will they be in the breast milk at the first nursing after the Dr. visit? What it be better to pump out the first milk after the Dr. visit? I have never pumped and she has never had a bottle. Should I pump before like he suggested? I wish I could avoid this all together, but I have put it off long enough. Thanks for any advise. BTW I do have a pump, just never had to use it before.

Default Re: Help..Got to get a cavity filled.. what do I do about meds?

Check out this link mama.

PAK
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'd suggest calling a leader and/or calling the dentist and finding the name of the med (well you'd have to do that before calling the leader anyhow ) and then calling your pediatrician to discuss it's safety. Most meds are safe for baby - especially an older baby. Keep in mind babies when going under for surgery are given anesthesia as well
    and see this as well

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wow what sort of stuff is he giving you! I had 2 teeth filled and 1 repaired and I didn't require any pumping or dumping. They knew I was nursing too.
    Here's some more info that might help you
    http://kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

I had to have a blood patch done when my LO was 4 days old I was told I could nurse as soon as I felt like I could sit up by the anesthesiologist . The ER doc said I had to pump and dump for an undisclosed amount of time, dude just gave me the old stand by. He didn't know anything about medications and milk.

Thanks for the links. The anesthesia is Articaine (septicaine). I am wondering if he is just being overly cautious. I doubt he knows a lot about bfing.

Here is another link....Articaine has not been reviewed, but there are other options they might be able to go with.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have had several long dental appts. during nursing and have not had to pump and dump. My dentist suggested it as well - in fact, at one time he told me I shouldn't nurse for 24 hours, AFTER he had already done the work - but after doing some research and getting some information from my LLL leader, I decided that he just didn't know what he was talking about.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Call a local LLL leader and they can look it up for you & tell you if it's a concern. Many medications, including anesthesia are compatible with bf!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Gosh, I had a root canal and crown put on while pregnant AND breastfeeding, and I never had to pump and dump or anything . The dentist did say he couldn't use "the good stuff" but what he used was totally adequate to keep me from feeling the root canal. I'd call the local LLL and have her look it up as suggested.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!