Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sterilizing medela tubing

Default sterilizing medela tubing

I am using the microwave bag that came with the pump to sterilize tubing. The directions say to use 4 oz water to completely cover tubing. I already put 8 oz but the tubing isnt covered yet.
    Any tips?

thank you!

Default Re: sterilizing medela tubing

if you remove the excess air and seal the bag, then lay it flat will the tubing be covered?

sorry I have never sterilized my tubing. Maybe I should since I've been pumping over a year now
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cassiesmom View Post
    I am using the microwave bag that came with the pump to sterilize tubing. The directions say to use 4 oz water to completely cover tubing. I already put 8 oz but the tubing isnt covered yet.
    Any tips?

thank you!
    I know that you need to make sure that the tubing is laying completly flat on the bottom of the bag and is completly covered with water. If you don't do this they will melt and you will have quite a mess on your hands!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I have never covered the tubing with water and it has never melted. I do try and make sure the tubing is wet, but I would have to half-fill the bag to cover it!

I didn't think about sterilizing the tubing with my first, and actually developed mould in the tubing. The folks said it is really important to sterilize the tubing because if ever a small amount of mould develops, it can be transferred into the motor. Not good...

All I know is do not put it in a sterilizer with anything else. I dis and it melted all over everything and everything that didn't melt itself was covered in greasy film and had to be thrown out...one emergency trip to target for a new mom on her own with only public transportation to get her there...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I never fully covered them in the bags and only put on 3-4 min...and never had a prob!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

It's ok even though you don't seal your tubing in a bag.