Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cereals by 3 months????? Isnt it too early??

Default Cereals by 3 months????? Isnt it too early??

HI there moms,

I know this is among the most asked questions by first time moms!!! But i really need to know a crisp answer to this one as everyone in my family seems to have an opinion on this!@@! Iam breast feeding her exclusively. No water nothing.

My baby girl is 11 weeks now. She started at 7.7 lbs at birth and weighs 15 lbs now. She is in the 75th percentile height wise. Active and her development stages are as per schedule. My worry is she used to poop daily till last week. But this week on its only once in 2 days or so. But she pees a LOOOOOOOT. atleast 15-20 times a day. And each time u can for sure get atleast 3-4 Oz of Urine!!!!!!! I have read somewhere in this forum that as long as baby pees well and has a dirty diaper once in 2-3 days its ok.

But my granny, who has breast fed 5 babies of her own and been around for lot of other moms says, that she is not having enuf and so i need to start on cereals. Her argument is she does not have enuf intake to poop and pee!!!!!!!

Can she be right????? I nurse on demand and dont stick to a schedule. She is active. But i may also add that she doesnt look very chubby. Perhaps she is in the 75th percentile, i think. On the other hand is it because she is not having enough?????

I would like to ebf her as long as possible. Minimum a year. But everyone around me except me and mu hubby is of the view that i should start cereals from the 13 week onwards!!!!!!

Please help......

Default Re: Cereals by 3 months????? Isnt it too early??

You are definitely in the right to wait. Ths issue isn't even really controversial in the current medical community. Both the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other groups recommend exclusive breastfeeding until at least 6 months. It is actually detrimental to your baby to introduce solids earlier, with very few exceptions.
    It sounds like your LO is very healthy-good for you!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You are doing everything right! It is too early for solids of any kind. By introducing *any* food other than breastmilk early you are potentially replacing your *PERFECT* nutrition (breastmilk) with an inferior one. Your baby's diaper output is outstanding. It's normal for breastfed babies to start to slow down on poopy diapers, some only have one a week!

Here is a BUNCH of great information you can gently share with your grandmother.

The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months.

See:

Why Delay Solids?
    Solid food: Wait a Bit
    When should my baby start solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?
    What if my 4-5 month old seems ready for solids?
    Solid food: Best Delayed
    Is My Baby Getting Enough Milk? (Diaper Output Guidelines)

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months): World Health Organization, UNICEF, US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Dietetic Association, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Health Canada

The second source above (Solids: Wait a bit) states:

"Even one exposure to a formula or cereal causes changes in a young baby's body, and can trigger allergies that might have been avoided. Young babies have very low levels of an enzyme important to starch digestion, so early cereal may be filling, but it isn't effective food. Early fruits or vegetables can interfere with iron absorption. And studies indicate that babies sleep through the night when they're ready, not when they start solids.

The older guidelines that recommend starting solids "at 4 to 6 months" include formula-fed babies and those few breastfed infants whose growth is truly faltering. For the baby who is doing well on breastmilk alone, early solids may replace a complete, well-digested food with an incomplete, poorly digested one, and can lead to obesity, allergies, and even anemia. There are good reasons to wait until about 6 months, especially if there are allergies in the family."

Good luck with your little one and when your baby is ready to start trying foods after 6 months, have fun and follow her cues.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'm just going to add another link, it's from the Dr. Sears website, He's a very renowned pediatrician in the US, and his site has a bunch other good FAQ, perhaps you can print some info out and give it to them.

STARTING SOLID FOODS: WHEN? WHAT? AND HOW?

HTH

Thanx there on all the support u guys. Just one more question. She takes keen interest in watching ppl eat. Or is it just that she is curious about evrtything we do???? My granny goes on saying that this si the cue for starting solids. Since she is interested in adult food....

Is that true?? Can she start liking the occassional taste of all these other foods? Will she refuse me???? Iam scared and cant be around her 24 hours. And i know for sure that she gets to lick on the taste of other foods given to her by my granny when iam not around She means well. Doesnt want the LO to go half full....But i think she need not be overfed....

Quote Originally Posted by mom2sarvagnya
    Thanx there on all the support u guys. Just one more question. She takes keen interest in watching ppl eat. Or is it just that she is curious about evrtything we do???? My granny goes on saying that this si the cue for starting solids. Since she is interested in adult food....

Is that true?? Can she start liking the occassional taste of all these other foods? Will she refuse me???? Iam scared and cant be around her 24 hours. And i know for sure that she gets to lick on the taste of other foods given to her by my granny when iam not around She means well. Doesnt want the LO to go half full....But i think she need not be overfed....
    I got that comment a lot too ... "Look at her watching you eat ... she's starving!" But my baby also watches me put on make-up with the same intensity ... does that mean she's dying to try mascara? I would be very firm with your grandmother about your wishes. Stress to her that you really appreciate how much love and concern she has for your little one, but it is vital she respect your wishes as the mom. Maybe add that your doctor insists that your baby not be given anything but breast milk until 6 months (and even if your doc didn't say this, you could be referring to any of the multitudes of docs that do ... Dr. William Sears, Dr. Jay Gordon, etc ... not to mention the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, etc, etc). It should be more difficult to argue with that!

kellymom's web site has great ideas to include your little one in meal times without risking their well being by giving solids too early ...

What if my 4-5 month old seems developmentally ready for solids?
    Four- to five-month-old babies are sometimes very eager to participate at mealtime, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are ready to eat solids - more often it's just the normal developmental urge to do what everyone else is doing. Research studies tell us that there are many health advantages to delaying solids for about 6 months for all babies, not just the babies who are not yet interested in mealtime.

There are a number of things you can do to let baby participate in mealtimes without starting solids:

Let baby sit with the family at mealtime - in a lap, booster seat or high chair.
    Give baby a cup of water or expressed milk. Your baby can entertain himself at mealtime while learning to use a cup. 1-3 ounces of water in the cup should be plenty (often for the entire day). Many moms choose to use only water or a small amount of breastmilk to avoid wasting the "liquid gold" while baby learns to use the cup.
    Offer baby sips of water from your cup or straw. Even if baby hasn't figured out how to use a straw yet, you can put your straw in water, block the top end of the straw with your finger to trap a little water in the straw, then let baby drink the water from the lower end of the straw (unblock the top end once it's in baby's mouth).
    Offer baby spoons, cups, bowls and other baby-safe eating utensils to play with during mealtime.
    Give baby an ice cube (if it's a baby-safe size & shape) or ice chips to play with.
    Offer baby a momsicle (popsicle made from breastmilk) or slushy frozen breastmilk to eat with a spoon.

Maybe print out this page and show it to her:
    Why Delay Solids?
    It points out some very serious arguments for delaying solids ... allergies, anemia, maintaining your milk supply, baby's immature digestive system, and on and on. They also have a great section on dealing with criticism ... some comments you could tailor to fit your situation:

"I respect your opinion and value your advice, but I have thought this out carefully and done a lot of research, and my mind is made up. I will be happy to respect your opinion and listen to what you have to say, but you have to respect my decision--and it is MY decision."

The "sandwich" technique sometimes works:
    Say something complimentary first: "I'm so glad you are here to be with my children; Having a loving grandma like you is so important; You are such a wonderful grandma, just like I knew you would be."
    Then make the point you are trying to make: "It really upsets me when you criticize my choice and my pediatrician's recommendation to breastfeed to the degree that I feel I might start to avoid visiting with you."
    Then say something nice again: "That would make me sad because I know you love the children and I want them to have you in their life because you are so special."
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 18th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Oh I love your replies Annie! I always seem to end up finding them while searching for things... I especially love your well thought out responses for certain issues too.. but I think the best yet is this one:
    "Look at her watching you eat ... she's starving!" But my baby also watches me put on make-up with the same intensity ... does that mean she's dying to try mascara?
    I will be using this one for sure!
    *(hope things are better 4 u today)
    Eme

Mom2... good luck to you... I know it's difficult to stand up to our family especially when they give you the ol' "when I did -such and such - we would blah blah " but if you have been armed with current data, and you best interest is always with you child (which I am sure it is!) you can't go wrong... Hopefully grama will comply with your wishes when you are absent from your LO!
    Last edited by Number3; August 18th, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my mom was the same way...she wanted me to start my 2month old dd on rice cereal. i told her that it was way too early. so after our 2month appt, i told her that our pediatrician said that we could start rice cereal at the very earliest at 4 months, but no earlier due to possible allergic reactions. i think you're doing the right thing on holding off the cereals until she's at least 6 months old.

Thanx Annie That made my heart light. I was worried sick if i was doing something wrong!! After all granny has mothered 5 babies of her own. Just wanted a comfort zone to continue on ebf.

But is 15lbs for a 2.5 months old started at 7.7lbs ok?? Are the charts that paediatricians hand you really based on FF babies???or is it just an average??? My BG is in her 50th percentile weight wise and 75th percentile height wise. This was by her 8th week. I have an appointment 2morrow with our ped. Will kow the latest stats then. But is all these charts worth following and what does it all mean?? As i mentioned my lo is not too thin nor to chubby. I guess what granny expects is chubby thighs!!!!!

What say u guys??? all these numbers....

mom2sarvagnya

Don't pay too much attention to the charts, your baby behavior and the output of her diaper are better signs. 15 lbs for a 2 1/2 MO is pretty good, how much bigger Granny wants her to be?? The percentile thing is not a test, the goal isn't the 100%, for example your baby is in the 50th percentile that mean that 50% of the babies her age are bigger than her and 50% are smaller than her on average, KWIM. Most of the peds still have the old charts which are based on FFed babies, WHO came with the new charts that take in consideration the BFed babies, I'll attach them for you but you'll to convert the pounds into kg, I'll probably attach a conversion link. Let me look for them and I'll post them later.

HTH