Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't wait until tomorrow!

Default Can't wait until tomorrow!

After worrying for the last 2 months and posting in the newborn challenges forum about DS weight gain, last week I had him weighed and found out he hasn't gained anything since his 2 week appointment. I spoke with the LC there who was NOT helpful whatsoever. I knew more than she did and she just passed me off to the pediatrician who was your normal doctor who wanted me to give a bottle for a week so I knew exactly how much he is taking in. Not that its bad to give a bottle at times, it just wasnt the "help" I was hoping for. Well, I got the starter SNS and am using formula in it since his improper latch (or whatever is going on) has caused my milk supply to decrease to almost nothing. Nursing with the SNS is awful as my nipples now feel so raw from the plastic rubbing on them constantly and I have had to talk my way through this whole process because Friday I ended up with a headache from crying so hard/much. ANYWAY, I had used all the tricks I knew so decided to call an IBCLC at a different hospital who has an actual BF clinic and tomorrow is my appt.! I cannot wait to get this all worked out! The process is not only painful but long and tedious(sp?): Make bottle and attach to hose, tape to chest, make several attempts at latching him on to breast and hose so that the hose is in the right place for him to suck out of, unlatch and burp to wake up my lazy nurser, swith sides and find perfect spot again, finish and wash all parts, pump for a while to try and boost supply only to get .5 oz out, wash all parts, 30 minutes later start all over again. Please wish me luck tomorrow so that we can figure out what the`problem is, I just want my baby to be healthy! Also so that my rear doesnt have to be stuck to the couch all day so I can take care of the rest of my family - DH and homeschooling 2 little girls.

Default Re: Can't wait until tomorrow!

I hope you are able to get things worked out mamma! Alot of people would have given up by now. Good for you for hanging in there!

Let us know how things go after your appt. tomorrow!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I just want to say that I really really look up to you. I can't say that I would be able to stick in there like you are especially with two other children to care for. You are amazing and I'm saying my prayers for you tomorrow!
    So happy to my preemie!!

I pray that your clinic appointment goes well for you today. I posted in the increasing milk supply section on my dislike of using the SNS but I have to admit that the results have been dramatic in cutting down on formula supplementation. I hope that your LC has good advice for you and that you see a way through this difficult stage of feeding.

Well done for persevering this far
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Today went wonderful! I saw the LC who spent a good hour with me listening to everything I had to say and asking lots of questions. She weighed him naked and was frustrated to find out that he was weighed at our doctors office with his cloth diaper on even after I told them it wasn't a good idea because it is much heavier than sposies.

Anyway, he has gained 10 oz. since Thursday!!! Only 5 more oz. till he is at the bottom of his healthy weight "range".

My supply IS awful, producing only about 2 oz. between both sides, but we have a plan. Pumping after every feed has helped a little so far and she is having me start with Lactation Blend and another Fenugreek pill. We are pretty sure that my supply is that way because he is a lazy sucker. Great latch, but he falls asleep and "chomps" instead of sucks. So now our homework is to squeeze milk from the SNS into his mouth (instead of letting him just suck, or should I say let it dribble into his mouth) so that he has to work at swallowing. Once my supply beefs up and I have enough pumped to use in the SNS, we will cut out the formula. Then we will wean off and probably breast massage (squeeze) while nursing so that he has a faster flow, and then wean to him being able to nurse all by himself.

It sounds odd, but I have never been happier to see poopy diapers in my life!

I see her again next Tuesday. I am so happy I trusted myself and not only had him weighed last week, but made an appt. with someone else who let me know it wasn't all in my head!

I am so happy for you Mama! I can tell from your post that it feels so good to have a plan put together with a supportive care provider!

Keep it up!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Oh, that is fantastic! I'm so glad you found someone who was helpful and encouraging. Keep us posted on how it goes!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--