Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avoiding weaning

Default avoiding weaning

Okay-DS will be staying with my mother for 2 nights after x-mas and 2 nights in January. I have no freezer stash and have pump weaned for 2 weeks now. DS nursed on demand on the weekend (5-6 x per day) and 3-4 x per weekday.

He drinks cow's milk and is a great solids eater. Do I pump for his overnight stays? I do not want him to wean yet.

I will pump for my own comfort when he is away, but I could also try to give my mom a bag or 2 per day if necessary.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: avoiding weaning

Hmmm... if it were me, at his age, since he is drinking cow's milk fine and eating solids fine, I probably wouldn't worry about pumping any milk for him to drink during those 2 days. If you're worried about him weaning, I personally believe that WHAT he's drinking or not drinking is probably less important than the fact that he will be without the boob during that time... That is, he will be drinking from a sippy during that time no matter what, it shouldn't really matter (weaning wise) if it's breast milk or cow's milk in the cup... JMO I hope that made sense, what I just said...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

that's a good point Buff
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I went on a trip for 3 days away from DS when he was 17 months old and still nursing. He went right back to nursing when I offered. I did have to pump for comfort, but I had to dump it.
    DH said he did great, i think he didnt miss what wasnt there kwim?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I was just away from DD (16mos) for 4 days/4 nights a few weeks ago. i had a bit of a freezer stash for DH to give her but he said she barely drank any of it. And she was more than happy nurse when I got home.

So, I would think you'd be find not sending any milk for him.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Hi Jenna! I stumbled on thsi thread and wanted to know how things played out, did you have any issues?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Happy to report no issues! We sent 1 bag of milk per night (I pumped at 10pm for a few nights) and he only drank a small amount of it! We nursed right away when we were together and have gone back to normal. Although I am sure I have a really low supply now, I think we are really just comfort nursing at this point.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

great thanks for sharing!

That's great to hear! I have still been debating on when I should start traveling for work again, and I am terrified that DD will wean if I leave her for a few days. Not sure why I'm so attached to it... I mean, she is ~16 months old now, and if she did wean it wouldn't be a huge tragedy... I guess I'm just not ready??

ANYWAY, If you are nursing Max to sleep, did your mother have any problems getting him to sleep, since he didn't have the boob before sleep?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    That's great to hear! I have still been debating on when I should start traveling for work again, and I am terrified that DD will wean if I leave her for a few days. Not sure why I'm so attached to it... I mean, she is ~16 months old now, and if she did wean it wouldn't be a huge tragedy... I guess I'm just not ready??

ANYWAY, If you are nursing Max to sleep, did your mother have any problems getting him to sleep, since he didn't have the boob before sleep?
    yes I nurse him to "sleepy" not asleep. But he falls asleep at daycare just fine so my mom had no problem. She gave my milk in a sippy cup and rocked him and put him down
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language