Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long between poops?

Default How long between poops?

My almost 5 month old has gone without pooping since Friday. Is that normal? She normally goes once/day and I noticed that on Friday she had more of a peanut butter consistency poop and then DH changed a second poop (which is very unusual) after feeding her at bedtime so I didn't see what it looked like. Wets are normal, nursing is her normal 6-8 times/day.
    She doesn't seem terribly unhappy, she hasn't slept well since Friday but that's hit or miss anyway.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Default Re: How long between poops?

normal for some kids!
    You better have a change of clothes with you when she does deside to go.

At a certain point, a baby's digestive system becomes more mature and starts to use breastmilk very efficiently, leaving little waste left over. It is normal for a baby to go up to a week between poops, so long as:
    - the baby does not appear uncomfortable
    - the stool is soft, not pellet-y, when it finally is passed
    - the baby is not straining to poop (turning red, screaming, tensing, appearing uncomfortable)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    normal for some kids!
    You better have a change of clothes with you when she does deside to go.
    You're not kidding!! Our little one goes about a week between poops, but watch out when he finally does!! Quite a mess! No need to worry...perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*prettydunn View Post
    You're not kidding!! Our little one goes about a week between poops, but watch out when he finally does!! Quite a mess! No need to worry...perfectly normal.
    Our lo goes quite a while betweem poops too! It can be really explosive when she finally goes!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My DS goes anywhere from 4-7 days without pooping and it is normal. but man when he goes, he goes! Once my DH did an early morning change half asleep and didn't put the diaper tight enough and it leaked on his nice sleeper really bad! And it'll stain if you don't clean it right away! Should of had DH clean it up!