Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many kids before I get all the weird questions answered

Default How many kids before I get all the weird questions answered

no, really. Last time, I got these weird and very painful lumps in my armpits. Turned out they were the tail of Spence, something nobody I asked locally had ever heard of.

Well, this is the new weird lactation thing that's happening to me. I noticed a drop of milk about 1 cm above my nipple but still on the aerola yesterday. I thought it was just something that landed there during nursing and didn't think anything else further about it. But later, I saw the milk bead up out of my skin at that same spot during a letdown! It is very definitely milk.

There's a little bump there, and I thought it was just a gland -- can't remember the name of the gland, but they produce moisture for the nipple skin -- but I didn't know milk could actually come out of it! Or have I gotten pores in weird parts of my breast this time?

Otherwise, nursing is going OK. Yeah, my nipples got sore, but a) I'm redheaded and b) have fair, delicate skin, so I expected it, even with a good latch. And I produce milk like a Holstein cow so engorgement is normal for me at this point, and it's not that bad, actually. Baby is doing well and soaking all his diapers and making lots of stool. He's nursing more often than my last one -- and even more often than my first baby who was an every hour nurser -- but oh well.

Why does the weirdness always happen to me?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: How many kids before I get all the weird questions answered

I've heard of it. Completely normal (well, maybe not "normal", but not worrisome, kwim?).

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I want to write a book about all the weird stuff that happens during pregnancy, chldbirth, and nursing and childcare that no one tells you about!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Funny, I've noticed on my right nipple I have a duct (opening/hole?) on the top of my right nipple (not the front, top as in I look down and see it) right next to the aerola. I noticed milk spraying from it while pumping. There's actually a little bump there, slightly darker color than the rest of my nipple. It doesn't hurt or anything so I just assumed it's fine.
    You're not the only one!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Last time, I got these weird and very painful lumps in my armpits. Turned out they were the tail of Spence, something nobody I asked locally had ever heard of.

Well, this is the new weird lactation thing that's happening to me. I noticed a drop of milk about 1 cm above my nipple but still on the aerola yesterday. I thought it was just something that landed there during nursing and didn't think anything else further about it. But later, I saw the milk bead up out of my skin at that same spot during a letdown! It is very definitely milk.

There's a little bump there, and I thought it was just a gland -- can't remember the name of the gland, but they produce moisture for the nipple skin -- but I didn't know milk could actually come out of it! Or have I gotten pores in weird parts of my breast this time?

Otherwise, nursing is going OK. Yeah, my nipples got sore, but a) I'm redheaded and b) have fair, delicate skin, so I expected it, even with a good latch. And I produce milk like a Holstein cow so engorgement is normal for me at this point, and it's not that bad, actually. Baby is doing well and soaking all his diapers and making lots of stool. He's nursing more often than my last one -- and even more often than my first baby who was an every hour nurser -- but oh well.

Why does the weirdness always happen to me?
    The bolded part made me but all of what you described wast true for me with K. So if you're weird, then so am I.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Add me to the list of weirdos. I have the same thing on the underside of my left breast on the areola...definitely away from the nipple. I notice it leaking at times.

Glad things are going well, Susan! I keep wanting to call you, but if I go over on my minutes again this month, DH will kill me. And if I wait until 9 its too late to call. I'll catch you this weekend

How are Ian and Colton adjusting to Logan?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I had 3 or 4 spots that milk would come out of on my aereolas. I thought I'd sprung some leaks!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Yep... me too I shed milk from the areola below my nipple. Can cause leaks when pumping but otherwise I assumed it was 'normal'.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

While I don't have milk coming from 'odd' places I can say I don't think it matters how many kids we have each experience is so different & unique... keeps us on our toes! !
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Glad I'm not the only one with milk spraying from odd places!

The boys are . . .. adapting. Colton has very definitely started with the terrible two's in earnest, and I'm not sure if it's just coincidence, or if he was like this before and I didn't notice because I wasn't a bit stressed or what They argued over who could hold Logan the first few days, and that seems to have passed. But the bad part is that they get into it, and I'm stuck on the couch nursing and can't break up the fight or take away the problematic toy or whatever. I'm going to have to figure out a workaround on that. And they have watched FAR too much TV in the last week while DH is wrapping up the semester. Grandma doesn't drive, so they can't go anywhere, and Grandma doesn't really do a lot anyway. So we watch TV.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!