Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My nipples need help

Default My nipples need help

For about a week my nipples have been so incredibly painful with huge cracks that will not heal. I have been using lanolin after I feed and it is so painful. I was reading on another thread about thrush and one of the signs was cracks that will not heal. Could this be it? I have used gentian violet before and it is sooooooooooooo messy and stains. Any suggestions on making gentian violet less messy? or an effective alternative? How long does it take for it to clear up?

Default Re: My nipples need help

how old is baby?

bunch of hints here

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

I'm sorry you're dealing with such awful cracks!

Yes, one symptom of thrush is cracks that won't heal. If you do have thrush, you need to treat your baby, too, because you can pass it back and forth.

Check out the links on this page for more thrush info.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do you think you actually have thrush? Do your breasts feel like they are on fire? I had to use antibiotics to heal my thrush but in the mean time when all I had was cracked bleeding nipples I either rubbed some BM on them and let them air dry or used these

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ..._sku=sku380210

although you should not use them if you have thrush b/c it will make the infection worse.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Do you think you actually have thrush? Do your breasts feel like they are on fire? I had to use antibiotics to heal my thrush but in the mean time when all I had was cracked bleeding nipples I either rubbed some BM on them and let them air dry or used these

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ..._sku=sku380210

although you should not use them if you have thrush b/c it will make the infection worse.
    Put expressed bm on them and let them air dry. Check out the links from pp's about thrush.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

A few months ago I had terrible cracks that wouldn't heal, but I didn't have thrush. It just hurt where the nipple was cracked. I used a ton of lanolin, it felt futile but I just kept at it. Eventually LO's latch improved and it allowed my nips to heal. Good luck to you!

ALthough if you have thrush putting lanolin and BM on them may make them worse, not better. If you suspect you have thrush & don't want to do the gentian violet you can get rx's from your & the babies dr. But make sure you're both treated or like a pp said, you'll pass it back & forth.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

OK I went to the doctor and she prescribed difflucan (spelling?) and nystain. I am two days into it and the cracks are still bleeding and so painful to nurse. I used to love to nurse. It was such a connection. Now it's becoming a horrible experience for me and LO. He screams when I put him position to nurse. How long will it take for the cracks to heal??

I am not certain how long it will take. but do read these FAQ to make sure you're following all washing protocol so you don't keep spreading it.
    Renee
    LLL Leader