Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for vacation and when should I pump?

Default Pumping for vacation and when should I pump?

I need to pump for our vacation but don't know when to. I have never had an overabundant supply so I worry that it will just turn into a slippery slop and I will have to suppliment. Will I have to suppliment the first day or two? Pumping in the middle of the night is last choice so how/when do I pump during the day and still b/f -so that baby will still have enough?

Default Re: Pumping for vacation and when should I pump?

If you have some time before you go away, you shouldn't have to supplement..start to stock up ASAP....when I wanted to stock, I would feed first thing in the morning with one breast and pump the other, bec this is when I was at my fullest, I would often get a full bottle's worth right there..I would also pump right before I went to bed (usually 2-3 hrs after my last feed for my dd) This was usually approx a full bottles worth too. I wouldn't worry about over supply, bec when you are away you prob wont do as much, so your supply will even back out!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Why do you need to pump? Long car journey? Dislike of nursing in front of people?

Slings and wraps can help more "modest" mom's NIP - no one can see what you are doing then.

Supply is usually highest in the morning so a full session then would help. You may also want to try 10 mins after each session - you might not get much then but it will boost supply in general. Eat your oatmeal and drink lots pf water and you should be able to avoid supplementing.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I assume you will be on vacation away from LO? Anyway start right now and either pump while nursing (nurse one side, pump one side), pump after LO is in bed, or build up the stash little by little, by pumping after each feeding for about 10-15 minutes. It's a pain in the but, but it's the way I built up my stash before returning to work. Freeze in incriments of 4-6 oz
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language