Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so tired of being worried all the time:-(

Default I'm so tired of being worried all the time:-(

Hi all!
    My LO is going to be 4 mo in 9 days, so far, she's BF exclusively. All this time is a struggle for me, because I have JUST ENOUGH milk, or at least had... I'm back to work since Nov 3, before returning to work I froze around 2 week supply. Why am i saying its a struggle? Well, every day at work, every pumping session I "squeeze" that milk out of myself. Some days i don't even pump enough for her for the day (like today, I pumped 7.5 oz, she ate 10 oz ). Mondays have been bad for me, but today is very bad. She doesn't always eats 10 oz when I'm away (I'm not home for 10-11 hours) and I'm not sure its enough for her (I read somewhere that in that age babies need about 26-32 oz of milk daily, or 4-5 oz ), but maybe she's making up for it at night (She nurses very often, some nights every hour, some every 2)? I have much more milk at night, I've noticed. We'll see the doctor this coming saturday, so I'll know how's she doing. She's not cranky or fussy, she's very active, alert, happy baby... But I'm concerned... I pump now as much as I did 1-2 months ago, shouldn't she eat more??? And shouldn't I produce more?
    I don't want to supplement, I've been investing all my strength and willpower not to all this time. I tried More Milk Plus (no results), eating oatmeal every morning... Even trying to pump after I bf her on weekends...No result Could her having stool every 2-3 days now (she used to have it every day before) be an indication of her not getting enough? Wouldn't she cry, be fussy or unhappy if she'd be hungry?
    Please advise
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Smile Re: I'm so tired of being worried all the time:-(

I can't offer much advice about what you can do but I have to congratulate you for being so adamant about continuing with your breastfeeding. Most people probably would have given up, BRAVO! I would try to contact an LLL consultant about this, there has to be a solution! Your child is very lucky to have such a caring mom. Good luck!

Default Re: I'm so tired of being worried all the time:-(

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're doing just finr. Wait and see how it goes at the doctor, their may be no problems with her weight gain and you're worrying for nothing! It is pretty normal for babies who's moms work during the day to take less milk while mom is away and nurse frequently at night to make up for it. My daughter did that and while she has always been on the small side (since birth) she is perfectly healthy, happy, and normal little girl.

Your milk increases in concentration as your baby gets older so you don't necessarily need to be pumping more as far as quantity because she is getting more nutrition per ounce of milk than she was when she was little. And I wouldn't worry about pooping less often, that is normal too. Sometimes they poop more and sometimes less.

A few questions- how often are you pumping while you are at work? How long are you away from baby? What kind of pump are you using? Do you usually get more than one letdown while you are pumping? There are lots of little tricks you can do to increase the amount you are getting when you pump, do you do anything special? Can you describe how a typical pumping session goes?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

From what you've described, it's possible this is all perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

If your baby is nursing every hour or two at night it's likely that she has just switched her schedule around to get the food she needs when you're there to provide it personally (and perhaps your body is adjusting to that too). She's probably also nursing very efficiently at this age and getting more milk in a shorter amount of time than she did when she was younger.

It's completely normal for a baby over six weeks old to go two or three days without a bowel movement and not at all a sign of a problem.

Really the only way to know if there is a problem is to see what you find out at your doctor's appointment. If her weight gain is basically on track, then everything's fine. Hopefully it will be reassuring for you. Let us know how it goes!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

First of all, I wanted to say, good job mom, for being so dedicated and balancing work and breastfeeding, I know it is not easy.

I pump now as much as I did 1-2 months ago, shouldn't she eat more??? And shouldn't I produce more?
    Actually, no. Your milk supply reaches a maximum when baby is about 1 month and will stay about the same until, with introduction of solids, it will gradually decrease. Obviously your little one's too young for solids, but this page has a good graph of milk intake.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

What kind of pump are you using at work? Perhaps you need a better pump or to pump more often. Are you double-pumping? There's other ways to increase your milk supply. Anyway, from what you said, it sounds like you wouldn't need more than a couple more ounces /day?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

When mom goes back to work, alot of babies do what is called 'reverse cycling'. They will eat less during the day and eat more frequently during the night. They take the chance for more time with mom and to eat by their preferred method: at the breast! Breasts adjust their milk production to time-of-day. You have more milk at night because this is when baby's drinking it!

At this age, the best way to tell if baby's getting enough is to weigh her regularly. Perhaps you need to weigh her more often to set your mind at ease. As you say she's happy otherwise, I bet she's gaining weight just fine.

Give yourself a big pat on the back, take the time to enjoy your baby when you're home, and keep your chin up.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 16th, 2008 at 01:29 AM.

Thank you everybody for your support! I will try now to answer all the questions so the picture will be clearer:
    -I work for 8 hours so I'm away from my LO for 10-10.5 hours;

-I pump 3 times (sometimes 4 is supply is lower) for now, but not sire for how much longer they'll allow me to do so;

-I also nurse my LO around 5am before leaving and then pump at home around 5:30, the output varies, but yesterday and today I only had 10 mL (wich is NOTHING);

-I use a very simple Medela Swing, but rented a hospital grade medela (not sure what the name was) before and sisn't see ANY difference, after each session I hand express as its the most effective way for me (seems like);

-I have 2, sometimes if I pump non-stop for 3-5min then 3 letdowns, but with 2nd and 3rd I get less and less milk out;

-my othe problem is my right breast: its smaller (LOL) and emptier because my DD doesn't like it much, she takes it well at night while she's sleepy (or alseep) and when I do have milk in htere, so if i pump 2oz out of my left one, I can only count on 0.5oz from the right one and maybe 1oz at the end of the session;

I usually spend 30 min per session, in avarage I pump around 2.5-3.5 oz (few times I had almost 4 oz even!!!) in the morning (at work, around 8am), then like 2-2.5oz before lunch and around 3oz in the afternoon, so I take home 9oz on good days, but only had 7.5oz yesterday and Nothing in the morning at home:-(((
    Hopefully today'll be better, I had my oatmeal in the morning (didn't eat it for 3 days, maybe its in my mind, but I think it helps)... I guess I'll never lose weight, hah?

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Have you tried herbs such as fenugreek for increasing milk supply? There's also prescription meds that work, if your open to that, I know alot of women who were helped by them.

30 min seems like a long time. When I was pumping, I'd double-pump to save time, used a hospital grade pump AND while pumping massaged my breasts (if you have a hands-free kit, this will be easier). You can even lay warm facecloths on your breasts while you pump, it might help.

If hand expression works well for you and indeed for some mothers its faster than pumping, then check out the Marmet method of hand expression, supposedly you can get more milk that way.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

Have you also posted in the pumping and low-milk supply forums? Perhaps they can help.

Don't be too hard on yourself, BTW, I think you're doing awesome, give yourself a pat on the back.

It doesn't sound to me like you need to take anything for increased milk supply. As Karen said it sounds like your lo may be making up for it at night. Here are some ways to help increase suplly when pumping that are easy & don't require meds.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Once again, thank you everybody, thank you Renee...
    I'm just tired, I guess...
    I was telling myself all that time that I'm ok, but I do need rest and that's #1 reason, I think. I eat enough (I think more than, cause I'm not losing weight), drink plenty of water, eat oatmeal every morning, and i was doing fine till this Monday. On monday I though it was just monday, but yesterday was almost same and today I could barely squeeze less than 2.5oz at work in the morning.... Its stressful, even thouhg my DH keeps telling me that I shouldn't stress about it because I have milk frozen for another 2 weeks and worse comes to worse, she'll be BF till 5 months, still better than 3 or nothing...I know he's probably right (my first daughter I couldn't BF at all, I mean, I tried for a month...), but every time I go pump, I see those drops and all I want to do is cry...

I can't try and pump at night, when my supply is better obviously, cause this is when she nurses, because she wakes up pretty often to nurse and I have to get up at 5am for work...So physically, its not possible. I can add one more session at work (thats what I didi yesterday), hopefully it'll help a little...

I just don't understand what happened? Everything was so good last week and weeks before...

I'm only counting on that holiday/vacation I will be on as of this coming Friday. I'll be home from 12/19 to 01/05... That's my last hope, really

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

s Sometimes just a good day or two of lots & lots of nursing can help too! Hope you have a relaxing holiday!
    Renee
    LLL Leader