Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low weight gain strange colour poo

Default Low weight gain strange colour poo

My baby was born 7.5 lbs she dropped to 6.8 and only started putting on weight when we topped up with a formula bottle. Her nappies were greenish. I am still nursing every feed and giving her a bottle. When ever i nurse her more frequently her nappies stop being yellow and it doesnt seem to settle her. Could there be something 'wrong' with my milk? Is there a way to make my milk more satisfactory for her?

Default Re: Low weight gain strange colour poo

I know you posted in the Increasing milk forum, but it almost sounds like you might have too much milk.

See if anything here sounds familiar?

Also when did you guys start supplementing? How old is your LO now?
    Sometimes babies can fill up on the foremilk and not get enough of the hindmilk. Or if time at the breast is limited then that can cause the same problem. That can cause low gain, green frothy stools, and a fussy baby.

Also when did you guys start supplementing? 3 weeks old

How old is your LO now?
    8 weeks

Sometimes babies can fill up on the foremilk and not get enough of the hindmilk. Or if time at the breast is limited then that can cause the same problem. That can cause low gain, green frothy stools, and a fussy baby.[/QUOTE]

I keep her on the breast till she comes off herslef typically 15 -2o min. thats just one side.

Hmm.. did she have good diaper output when you weren't supplementing? Or was is low with the weight gain?

I'm wondering if it was maybe a little oversupply at first and it may have resolved itself, or maybe even something like a dairy allergy. I'm assuming your Dr was the one who suggested supplementing or were you working with a LC? Did you guys discuss a plan for weaning from the supplement?

Sorry so many questions!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mum613 View Post
    My baby was born 7.5 lbs she dropped to 6.8 and only started putting on weight when we topped up with a formula bottle. Her nappies were greenish. I am still nursing every feed and giving her a bottle. When ever i nurse her more frequently her nappies stop being yellow and it doesnt seem to settle her. Could there be something 'wrong' with my milk? Is there a way to make my milk more satisfactory for her?
    How much formula does your baby take each day?

In 24 hours, a baby needs at least 2 to 2.5 oz of milk/formula per pound of body weight.

For example, a 10 lb. baby would need at least 20 to 25 oz. of milk/formula per day.

I'm asking how much formula your baby is getting in 24 hours to get an idea of how much of her nutrition is coming from your milk and how much from the formula.

When she nurses, does she actively suck and swallow? Is she happy to be at the breast, or does she seem to be tolerating it while waiting for the bottle?
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    How much formula does your baby take each day?

In 24 hours, a baby needs at least 2 to 2.5 oz of milk/formula per pound of body weight.

For example, a 10 lb. baby would need at least 20 to 25 oz. of milk/formula per day.

I'm asking how much formula your baby is getting in 24 hours to get an idea of how much of her nutrition is coming from your milk and how much from the formula.

When she nurses, does she actively suck and swallow? Is she happy to be at the breast, or does she seem to be tolerating it while waiting for the bottle?
    Most days In 24 hours she has 16 oz of formula. some days it is less.
    She activitly nurses, she's happy at the breast but 5 to 10 min after she comes off she is cranky again. This doesn't happen after a bottle.
    When we put her on formula she seemed content and was producing good nappies although they were green. but you could visually see that she wasn't gaining weight. The Dr suggested the formula. There was no talk about weaning her off it. Now I think she couldn't manage without the formula.

Thank you for answering my questions. I forgot to ask how much your baby weighs now? duh. And, how old is she?

I want to make sure I understand the situation. You said "you could visually see that she wasn't gaining weight". Was that when she was receiving formula supplements? Or was it when she was receiving only your milk?

After nursing, she gets cranky 5 or 10 minutes later. Have you tried offering the breast again then? I'm thinking that if she is still hungry, she can get more milk at the breast, rather than offering a bottle of formula.

You are worried that there could be something 'wrong' with your milk, and whether there is a way to make it more satisfactory for your baby.

I have not come across any research that says that there could be something 'wrong' with a mother's milk in terms of nutrition. (A severely malnourished mother is unable to produce appropriate milk, but that's an extreme situation). It is possible for a baby to be sensitive to something in the mother's diet, but I don't think that's what you were asking.

Can you tell me what part of the situation is of the most concern to you? That will help us provide useful information.

Hang in there!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Thank you for answering my questions. I forgot to ask how much your baby weighs now? duh. And, how old is she?

Now she's 9 weeks and i think she's about 9 lbs. She hasn't been weighed in 2 weeks

I want to make sure I understand the situation. You said "you could visually see that she wasn't gaining weight". Was that when she was receiving formula supplements? Or was it when she was receiving only your milk?

This was when she only had breast milk.

After nursing, she gets cranky 5 or 10 minutes later. Have you tried offering the breast again then? I'm thinking that if she is still hungry, she can get more milk at the breast, rather than offering a bottle of formula.

Yes I tried that - but since we've started the formula it doesn't satisfy her. So now i do one breast (inorder to keep up the supply) and then bottle feed.

You are worried that there could be something 'wrong' with your milk, and whether there is a way to make it more satisfactory for your baby.

I have not come across any research that says that there could be something 'wrong' with a mother's milk in terms of nutrition. (A severely malnourished mother is unable to produce appropriate milk, but that's an extreme situation). It is possible for a baby to be sensitive to something in the mother's diet, but I don't think that's what you were asking.

Can you tell me what part of the situation is of the most concern to you?
    That will help us provide useful information.

1. Why is it that when i breastfeed more ( like when she's really unsettled and i do it to calm her - why do her nappies turn green?

2. Is there a way to boost my milk so that this will satisfy her

Just a point of info. This is my baby number 6. and breast fed all the others. They all put on weight slowly but they put on weight without supplements. I do seem to have milk but it doesnt seem to be as nourshing?

Hang in there!
    Thanks so much!!!