Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!4 mnth old eating every 2 hrs at night

Red face Help!4 mnth old eating every 2 hrs at night

I am breastfeeding exclusively and co-sleep with my 4 month old. For the past 2 weeks he has been eating every 2 hours day and night. He eats for 5 to 10 minutes at each feeding and is clearly not interested in more food after that time. He is not completely awake during his night feedings so he doesn't cry or wake up, he just eats and then falls back asleep. He will do the same thing almost precisely 2 hours later. I realize infants go through a growth spurt around 4 months but do they last this long? Any thoughts? Will this pass and/or is there something I should be doing differently?
    Last edited by @llli*gerber; December 15th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: Help!4 mnth old eating every 2 hrs at night

Maybe your lo is going through a growth spurt. If so, it will pass. Here's some info.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

my lo does this (and usually more frequently) at 8.5 months. Some babies nurse every 2 hours around the clock until they are over a year. It also could be a growth spurt like pp suggested. Either way, there's nothing wrong
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DS used to wake every 3 hours on the dot when he was younger. Is the every 2 hours making you lose sleep? If it is, why not try feeding him more often during the day and see if that helps. Babies at 4 months are getting more distractable and might not eat as much during the day so they make up for it at night.

I'm there with you...
    My DD is going to 4 in 9 days, she started soing this few weeks ago (we co-sleep as well). She did exactly the same: nurse every 2 hours! Then that wasn't the worst! Those nights I called "bad", we also had "horrible", its when she'd wake up every hour! And i have to get up at 5am to come to work at 7. Honestly, its horrible... But past 3 nights she's been much better, maybe its temporary, idk, but hopefully it's not. Maybe you'll find an answer, I couldn't. All I did those past 3 nights, I made sure she ate a lot, nursed from both breasts around 9pm, then she was out till 1-1:30am, then ate around 2-2:15, then 4:30-5. Probably loooks bad to some moms, but is much better for me.
    Honestly, I tried feeding her more before too, but, like you said, she wasn't interested...
    Just be patient... Find something positive in this (like its possible). Maybe you don't have to get up for work like me... Or at least thank God the baby's not waking up or crying (that was my DH's therapy, worked for me a little)...
    You'll be fine!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

It was like that for my boy too until he's 13 months old when we decided to put him into his crib. Now he's 18 months old, sleeps in his crib but still wake up about 2-3 times during the night. Mostly, I'll let him cry a bit and then back to sleep but if I feel not so tired, I will get up and nurse him. For me, if I were still co sleeping with him, I'm sure he would work up every 2 hours still.

Question Re: Help!4 mnth old eating every 2 hrs at night

Thanks for your replies. I'm lucky because I am on maternity leave for a year so I don't have to get up for work. The family bed really helps in this situation because I don't have to get up to feed him, he is so good that he can latch on himself in the dark! What I'm wondering is if I move him to a bassinet beside the bed, whether he might sleep for longer stretches...anyone experience the same thing?

LO started this at about 4 months as well. She now nurses ever 30-min-to-an-hour around the clock at night! It's insane!!! She never nursed this frequently when she was a newborn. Haha. She's 13+ months now...and still nursing like a maniac every 30min +. Sometimes I get 2 hours between feeds out of her. We do co-sleep. I'm going to try sleeping in a sweatshirt to try to cover up some of the breastmilk smell on me. I think she smells it and wants to eat?

What I'm wondering is if I move him to a bassinet beside the bed, whether he might sleep for longer stretches...anyone experience the same thing?
    Yes, I found when DS is in his bassinet, he sleeps longer stretches. When he was in bed with me, I'd move which would wake him up, then he'd move which would wake me up. Needless to say he's in his own bed now.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Hi, that sounds rough, I hope things get better soon. It may be that your baby has a sleep association, and needs to suck to get to sleep. Possible solutions may be to delatch once your baby has closed his eyes and has gaps in his sucking, ie is almost asleep (no cry sleep solution book suggestion), or to just offer cuddles and see if this works. This worked for us at this age, and quite suprised me too.
    Otherwise, making sure you are comfortable to feed, so you can go back to sleep as soon as your LO is latched on, I still use a large pillow behind my back that I lean back on, and roll onto your shoulder to feed from the other side, ie don't swap the baby over. Using these methods I find I can go straight back to sleep even while the baby is feeding...
    Good luck.