Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples at 4 weeks

Question sore nipples at 4 weeks

I am a first time mom and I have been breast feeding my newborn for 4 weeks now. I am past the initial stages of engorgement and cracked & bleeding nipples and I *think* I am getting the hang of things. So, I am wondering when will my nipples stop being sore? I don't mean the soreness when she first latches on. I mean that my nipples are a little sore and achy all the time. I know I am supposed to get her mouth open wide and shove as much of the nipple and surrounding area in there as possible - although this is a little tricky at night when I can't see her mouth very well or she doesn't seem to open as wide. Still, I'm wondering if I'm not doing things right and if her mouth is not open wide enough and that is causing the soreness? Or will the nipples be sore for the entire duration of breast feeding? I thought it should get a little more comfortable.

I have not been using any lotion or ointments whatsoever on my breasts, not even soap in the shower. Also, I have been avoiding wearing a bra as much as possible, and always try and let the nipple air dry after feeding to avoid infection - that was my mom's suggestion and she used to teach breastfeeding classes in the '70s. Could I be getting an infection or thrush anyway and that is causing the soreness?

Finally, I'm wondering if my breasts will ever go back to normal when I'm finished breastfeeding. I'm a little worried that if I don't wear a bra my boobs will be hanging down to my belly button! I'm normally a size B cup, but am now a very ample C.

Any help or suggestions welcome! I am living overseas and feeling a little isolated in the breastfeeding experience. Thanks

Default Re: sore nipples at 4 weeks

It could be thrush. Here's a link.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I went through the same thing! Just give yourself time. Remember you and your baby are still learning how to breastfeed efficiently. I thought my nipples would never feel normal again but they will! I kept reading about why they might be sore and couldn't quite pinpoint what the problem was. For me i came to find after they started feeling better that he wasn't quite latching on correctly in the side-lying position, but he figured it out himself - the better latched he is, the more milk he will get for himself. The big cue for me was that his bottom lip was now phalanged out like a fish EVERY time he fed. They were completely pain free for me at about 2 and a half months. Stick with it, it really does get much easier!!!

Thumbs up Re: sore nipples at 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Thanks for the link! fortunately, I'm not showing any of the thrush symptoms and neither is the little one - except for a little fussiness at the breast and I think that is because the milk is flowing faster now. I'm glad I read it so that I know better how to - knock on wood - avoid thrush. Also, there was a good link from that page to one on nipple soreness.

Smile Re: sore nipples at 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gerber View Post
    I went through the same thing! Just give yourself time. Remember you and your baby are still learning how to breastfeed efficiently. I thought my nipples would never feel normal again but they will! I kept reading about why they might be sore and couldn't quite pinpoint what the problem was. For me i came to find after they started feeling better that he wasn't quite latching on correctly in the side-lying position, but he figured it out himself - the better latched he is, the more milk he will get for himself. The big cue for me was that his bottom lip was now phalanged out like a fish EVERY time he fed. They were completely pain free for me at about 2 and a half months. Stick with it, it really does get much easier!!!

Thanks, I hope you are right. I didn't realize it would take so long for it to get smoother. The nipples have been sore all along, which makes me think it is not thrush but more a problem of positioning. Some positions are more comfortable than others. I've noticed at night when I'm doing the side-lying deal I am so tired that I get sloppy with the position and that probably leads to soreness. Also, I've been trying to vary the positions to avoid soreness, but I realize now that I have to be patient for the baby to learn all the different positions too. It really is a team effort.

And I guess I'll keep going bra-less around the house until the soreness subsides. My husband doesn't seem to mind that at all

I didn't think it would take so long either. It just happened overnight, he figured it out and then my nipples were fine! I always found wearing the Johnson & Johnson nipple sheilds (you know the ones made for leaky boobs) between my nipples and bra worked well to ease the pain. Also, warm water in the shower I found helped too. For me, 2 and a half months was the magic time when he fed for a much shorter time (up to 10 mins), and nipples stopped hurting. Hang in there!

I think you just need to give it a bit more time. Google proper breastfeeding latch and if you are confidant that your lo is latched properly then just give it more time. I know that my nipples hurt for a good 5 + weeks with my dd. She never had any latch issues but the nipples really need to toughen up and get used to all that sucking!!! ( its hard on the nipples!) You are doing the right things letting your nipples air dry etc. You can also express a bit of breastmilk and rub it into your nipples after a feeding to keep your nipples from getting cracked. You can wear a bra if its more comfy too... Not sure about the other boob questions.. I was a A cup before and although my breasts got slightly bigger they are super small now.. and Im still nursing my 18 month old..

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Talking Re: sore nipples at 4 weeks

Hi I used to have sored nipples too, the thing that work with me was airdry by 2 days, 6 minutes of breast sun exposure (specially the nipple) 3 min at mornings 3 min at afternoons (felts really good) and use a small ice cube wrapped in a cloth to diminish the pain (applied only to the nipple also).

I find out with my LO that whenever I loose positioning of my arm while holding him I get sored nipples.

Hopefully this could help you!!
    Love and nurture... the surrender of the ego.

Wink Re: sore nipples at 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*flaquita View Post
    Hi I used to have sored nipples too, the thing that work with me was airdry by 2 days, 6 minutes of breast sun exposure (specially the nipple) 3 min at mornings 3 min at afternoons (felts really good) and use a small ice cube wrapped in a cloth to diminish the pain (applied only to the nipple also).

I find out with my LO that whenever I loose positioning of my arm while holding him I get sored nipples.

Hopefully this could help you!!
    Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, no sun here but I can give the ice a try! I notice too that if I shift position while feeding her my nipples get more sore. I think I need to be more patient!

Some tenderness in the beginning of a bf relationship is normal. If baby latches and it makes you tense for a few seconds this is normal. If baby latches and you are tensed up for longer than that, it may be a sign of problems.
    Renee
    LLL Leader