Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and medications

Default Breastfeeding and medications

I am exclusively breastfeeding, and in fact have had oversupply issues in the past with my 9.5 week old. However, last week I had a severe tooth problem and ended up in the ER, where they gave me oxycodone for the pain and recommended I stop breastfeeding while on it. I never would have done it had I not been in the worst pain of my life (yes, even worse than labor). Luckily, I had a decent stash of pumped milk in the freezer. For 1 and a half days we mixed this milk with a little formula (to stretch it in case we had to go for several days) and I pumped every 3 or 4 hours (the normal amount of time between feedings) and dumped the milk. After getting a root canal and waiting until the drugs were out of my system, I started breastfeeding again. I am now concerned about whether I have enough milk. My breasts are very soft, I don't have the forceful letdown like before and I feel letdown when she's eating but not every couple hours like I did before. I read all of the posts on here and normally I wouldn't worry about this, but the difference between before the medication and after is very extreme. i should add that my baby has been quite colicky since about 1 week after birth and I reluctantly introduced a pacifier at about 6 weeks, which has proved to be very comforting for both her and I. i always nurse her first when she's colicky and if that doesn't work I will sometimes use the pacifier. I am careful to never substitute it for the breast. Am I having a reaction to the medications I took? I'm drinking Mother's Milk tea and trying to pump as well as nurse to increase my supply again, but whereas I used to get 4 ounces in about 20 minutes, I now only get about 1, and that's in between feedings. What should I do? Do I need to increase my supply or is this just my body regulating my milk?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and medications

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zellabean View Post
    I am exclusively breastfeeding, and in fact have had oversupply issues in the past with my 9.5 week old. However, last week I had a severe tooth problem and ended up in the ER, where they gave me oxycodone for the pain and recommended I stop breastfeeding while on it. I never would have done it had I not been in the worst pain of my life (yes, even worse than labor). Luckily, I had a decent stash of pumped milk in the freezer. For 1 and a half days we mixed this milk with a little formula (to stretch it in case we had to go for several days) and I pumped every 3 or 4 hours (the normal amount of time between feedings) and dumped the milk. After getting a root canal and waiting until the drugs were out of my system, I started breastfeeding again. I am now concerned about whether I have enough milk. My breasts are very soft, I don't have the forceful letdown like before and I feel letdown when she's eating but not every couple hours like I did before. I read all of the posts on here and normally I wouldn't worry about this, but the difference between before the medication and after is very extreme. i should add that my baby has been quite colicky since about 1 week after birth and I reluctantly introduced a pacifier at about 6 weeks, which has proved to be very comforting for both her and I. i always nurse her first when she's colicky and if that doesn't work I will sometimes use the pacifier. I am careful to never substitute it for the breast. Am I having a reaction to the medications I took? I'm drinking Mother's Milk tea and trying to pump as well as nurse to increase my supply again, but whereas I used to get 4 ounces in about 20 minutes, I now only get about 1, and that's in between feedings. What should I do? Do I need to increase my supply or is this just my body regulating my milk?
    Root canals are awful! You have my sympathy.

It may be that it's just your body regulating your milk. I recommend watching your baby (rather than how much you can pump or how full your breasts feel). If your baby's output is good and she seems alert, active and happy, then everything's fine.

If her output significantly decreases, then you probably need to work on your supply.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader