Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you prevent supply from going down?

Default How do you prevent supply from going down?

Hi all, DS is 12.5 months and I don't want him to wean anytime soon. Problem is, he has never loved the boob. He nurses to eat and that's pretty much it. He can drain one side in 2 min and then is DONE. He rejects the boob about half the times I offer, and has always done this. Sessions are a little longer at night when he's sleepy. For this reason, I am also not wanting to night wean him anytime soon.

He still nurses 5-8 times per day, but in recent weeks my breasts have become noticeably smaller and softer. I really feel like my supply is going down. And he nurses even less when the boob isn't full. He NEVER sucks past the point where he can tell he's gotten most of the milk out. I really feel like if my milk were to dry up to a certain point, he wouldn't suck and suck to get more - he would just be weaned at that point and he probably wouldn't care. He is dairy allergic so I really want to nurse for a long time yet.

I feel so, so rejected - he never has liked nursing.

So should I started pumping to keep up my supply, or just let it be? I usually pump once or twice a day if I feel like he's not nursed well for a session. I haven't gotten AF back yet either, but I feel like the decrease in supply is more gradual and not a sure sign that AF is on the way.

I feel like we're in a vicious cycle, he nurses less when there's less milk, which in turn will cause me to have less milk.

Default Re: How do you prevent supply from going down?

Don't feel rejected! Your baby clearly likes nursing, or he would have quit already. He may not have that intense bond with the breast that some kids do, but that doesn't mean he's not bonded to you in other ways that are just as, if not more, meaningful!

Should you start pumping to keep up your supply? Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to tell what's going to happen as time goes on- the self-weaning road seems to be a variable one. Your child may decide that he's comfortable nursing once or twice a day, or he may wean altogether, or he may keep on nursing multiple times a day. There's no way to tell. But if you want to be absolutely sure that he continues to get breastmilk, pumping certainly won't do you any harm! And if you end up with a freezer full of milk, you can start mixing it into his food, and up his BM intake that way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How do you prevent supply from going down?

This sounds like my son to a 'T'. At 12 months I thought he was weaning and I was heartbroken. But I decided that since he was 12 months I wasn't going to worry over it and let nature take its course. If he weaned, then so be it. And if he wanted to nurse more then okay fine.

The cool thing about nursing past a year is that it takes a VERY long time for your milk to stop. You will be making milk months after he weans. Your breasts are smaller now because they are adjusting to the correct amount your toddler needs. If he nurses more, they will make more.

My son has gone from strike to nursing every 2 hours to strike to every 2 hours since he was 12 months. Toddler nursing is just like that, sometimes they need more sometimes they need less.

I'm sure you will do the right thing for you and your nursling. I just wanted to share from another perspective of other options. Congrats on making it to one year and enjoy the nursing you're doing!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09