Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike or Weaning?

Default Nursing Strike or Weaning?

Hi all. DS is 15.5mo. He nursed all night Friday, then nursed twice Saturday (yesterday) morning and once around 2pm. After that, he would bite the nip every time I offered it. It was as though he wanted milk but wanted to bite it out (ouch!). He refused to nurse before bed, instead only biting me. He was holding his upper lip over his teeth, so I think he's getting his canines. After some tylenol, some oragel (the first time we have ever used it), and some riding around looking at Christmas lights, he went to sleep. I took him in the house, drowsy and we laid down. Then I tried to nurse him. He nursed, gulping the whole time; poor little man was thirsty. He nursed one other time during the night. During both of these nursing sessions, at the end, he bit me. This morning he latched on and then bit me. He bit me each time I offered. DH gave him a sippy of BM and he did sip on it. DS did finally latch on and nurse for a few minutes after he saw me trying to put. He gets very upset with the pump, BTW--he tries to pull it off my breast and cries. Also, he cries every time he bites me. I really think that this is just a strike, but I never realized how hard it would be on me. I feel very rejected, and it doesn't help that every time I get upset, DH says that it's probably time to wean anyway--that's not what I want to hear. I need understanding, not oh well, he's getting too big for the nip, KWIM? So my question for ya'll is....does this sound like weaning or just a strike? The refusal to nurse happened quite suddenly--he went from nursing all night and his normal nursing schedule to refusing to nurse in just a few hours.

Default Re: Nursing Strike or Weaning?

My DS is 12.5 mos and this hasn't happened to us yet, but from everything I've read and other stories I've heard, it definitely sounds like a strike. I remember reading another thread on here where the LO went on a strike for like a month or something crazy like that and then started nursing again (of course, that is NOT the norm for a strike, usually it's just a few days). Maybe he is on the verge of getting sick, or maybe it's his teeth. I would keep pumping and offering the breast. You could call your local LLL leader for support too. I'm sure he will start nursing again. I can identify with your feeling rejected, too. I feel like this on almost a daily basis. My LO rejects the boob (forcefully) about half the times I offer it, and has done this for most of his life. I am devastated every time. It is an awful feeling to know that you want to give this to your child and they don't want it. Hang in there and good luck.

There's a really good article on the LLL FAQs about the difference, and I will try to find it later, but essentially, weaning is generally gradual, and strike is very sudden. It sounds like a strike to me. Its rare for a baby to wean themselves before the age of 2 anyway. Dd had many, many, many strikes, and she is still nursing at 36 months (today is her birthday ).

It is very hurtful, even when we shouldn't take it personally. Its completely normal to feel that way!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

If he's having a lot discomfort from his teeth, that could certainly contribute to a strike. I think the canines can be especially tough ones. Did the Tylenol seem to help? But he still bit?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks, ladies. It gives me hope that it is just a strike because his refusal has been so sudden. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who has felt rejected. No one around me has BF, so everyone just acts like it's no big deal. It is a big deal to me. Thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Did the Tylenol seem to help? But he still bit?
    The tylenol, along with being sleepy did help. I was watching him earlier, and he latched on and nursed for a few, and then I could tell a change in his mouth positioning right before he bit me. I think that when he latches, it puts pressure on his sore gums. I can tell that he wants the boob, but I think his mouth hurts too much.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    and she is still nursing at 36 months (today is her birthday ).
    I forgot...Happy Birthday!