Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supply battles, I am doing all I can but...this is getting scary

Default supply battles, I am doing all I can but...this is getting scary

My milk production has DRASTICALLY dropped in the past week, and before that was going down steadily. For various reasons (I was not at home and was in somewhat of a bind) I could not pump and try to up my supply. She nurses only if there is a lot of milk and she stops once the flow goes down.
    And my breasts are taking about 4 hours to make about 2 ounces of milk. I weigh her so I know how much she is getting.

My 7.5 month old gets oatmeal once a day (I try to do 1/4 cup but usually she has just 1/4 of that) and try to give her more watery oatmeal... so she does not get totally dehydrated/

How long can a baby get along on so less... her wight is 18 lds, so according tthe formula she needs anywhere from 36 oz of milk +!!! and I am giving her may be 10 oz a day if I am lucky. She acts hungry and when I give her my breast pulls back angry, and wont eat or drink from a bottle/sippy cup etc., she wants BM and in the original container.

Should I ask for prescription drugs ? How long do they take to work ?
    In the meantime what do I do

Default Re: supply battles, I am doing all I can but...this is getting scary

I responded to your other thread last night. I really think you should contact your docter.

ETA: and at kellymom it says that most babies need/take anywhere from 25 to 32 ounces of breastmilk a day.

ETA (2): just wanted to link your other thread to this one so that people get the background http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=64326
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; December 15th, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I responded to your other thread last night. I really think you should contact your docter.

ETA: and at kellymom it says that most babies need/take anywhere from 25 to 32 ounces of breastmilk a day.

with PP.

Dehydration in an infant is nothing to trifle with. There's lots you can do to up your supply, but none of it is instantaneous and your baby can't afford to wait. She needs much more than what you have described her as getting in your post, and judging from your post last night, she may need medical attention.

You'll be back on track soon enough, but it sounds like you need some help. I would go to my doc, a walk-in clinic or emergency at this point. Babies who get dehydrated can get very sick very fast.

Let us know how it goes.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Milk production is supply and demand and so the more you nurse and pump the more milk you will make. Are you counting wet and poopy diapers? Does she seem happy and healthy? There are a lot of variables... how many times a day is she nursing? etc. A call to the pediatrician wouldn't hurt, but make sure you're not undermining your self by giving formula and further decreasing your supply. http://www.llli.org//FAQ/increase.html
    Renee
    LLL Leader

s.p.-I was thinking of your Lo today and hope you followed up with the doctor right away. Do you have an update for us!

I want you to be successful at breast feeding but I also want baby to be safe and healthy
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    Milk production is supply and demand and so the more you nurse and pump the more milk you will make. Are you counting wet and poopy diapers? Does she seem happy and healthy? There are a lot of variables... how many times a day is she nursing? etc. A call to the pediatrician wouldn't hurt, but make sure you're not undermining your self by giving formula and further decreasing your supply. http://www.llli.org//FAQ/increase.html
    I'm sorry, but isn't the most important thing getting the baby hydrated? It might be decreasing supply to give formula, but this sounds like a rather dire situation. If the baby will not take BM, isn't formula the next alternative, even if not the popular choice?

Supply and nipple confusion are all things that can be worked on later, IMO.

To OP, how is she doing now? Have you seen/heard from the doctor?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I'm sorry, but isn't the most important thing getting the baby hydrated? It might be decreasing supply to give formula, but this sounds like a rather dire situation. If the baby will not take BM, isn't formula the next alternative, even if not the popular choice?

Supply and nipple confusion are all things that can be worked on later, IMO.

To OP, how is she doing now? Have you seen/heard from the doctor?

let us know how your LO is doing
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Absolutely. I'm guessing Renee missed the link to the other post.

s.p, have you tried a supplemental nursing system? It might be a way to get some extra expressed milk or formula into your baby while she's nursing at the breast.

It definitely sounds like your baby's doctor needs to be involved at this point. Please let us know how it's going.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Absolutely. I'm guessing Renee missed the link to the other post.

s.p, have you tried a supplemental nursing system? It might be a way to get some extra expressed milk or formula into your baby while she's nursing at the breast.

It definitely sounds like your baby's doctor needs to be involved at this point. Please let us know how it's going.
    SNS system does not work. It did not work even She keeps pulling the wire, cant stand to have anything different near the breast.

She is doing ok, has learned to get some water (I was told 4-6 oz) through nuby sippy cup. I have been prescribed reglan am going to take it and will update
    Last edited by @llli*s.p; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: answering questions asked

She nurses only if there is a lot of milk and she stops once the flow goes down.
    And my breasts are taking about 4 hours to make about 2 ounces of milk. I weigh her so I know how much she is getting.
    I hope things are better. I agree with pp, you must get more milk or formula into your LO. At this point, feeding the baby becomes more important than worrying about your supply.

If you are going 4 hours between nursing sessions, this is just signaling your breasts to make less milk. If your suppy is dropping, you need to feed more frequently, not less. If baby will not nurse, use breast compressions especially while you are waiting for your milk to let-down will help. At 7.5 months, babies are distractable. Feeding in a quiet dark room, lying down, with baby wrapped, can help encourage her to nurse.

Another way you can get fluids into your LO is by spoon. Offer her milk or formula frequently, at her age, it is definately more important than solids.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.