Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long can baby go without eating/drinking ok...

Default how long can baby go without eating/drinking ok...

This has been going on for about a week now I think....Baby is 7 momths old-18 lbs. We were jetlagged so I did not realize that she was sleeping more than usual...

She has maybe had total of 5 oz of liquid today and a few spoons of oatmeal. Thats all. How do I know its only 5 oz? Because I weigh her before and after nursing.

Her diaper output has reduced and she is very sleepy. Also her pee smells very bad, strong probably. I realize this can be a dangerous situation. What can I do to make her feel better, she isn't getting enough liquids for sure.

She wont take formula and does not nurse from the bottle. I am at my wits end. I am trying to take fenugreek and mothers milk tea and pump (I got 2 oz after 4 hours of not nursing -she was sleeping and would not dream nurse)

When my supply was good/getting low I was able to get at least 4-7 oz in one pumping. Now its 1-2 oz.

Default Re: how long can baby go without eating/drinking ok...

Not producing a wet diaper in about 6 hours as well as strong smelling urine are both signs of dehydration. Excessive sleepiness is a sign of more serious dehydration. The sleepiness would make me take my lo to the emergency room right away. Dehydration is a scary thing if it goes too far. jmo

ETA: how long between wet diapers? and is she showing any other signs of dehydration? (chapped lips, dry or sticky mouth, no tears when crying, pale). Slight dehydration can be corrected with fluids, but more moderate or severe dehydration might need medical attention. Perhaps calling a pediatric help line (or something similar)?
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; December 13th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Not producing a wet diaper in about 6 hours as well as strong smelling urine are both signs of dehydration. Excessive sleepiness is a sign of more serious dehydration. The sleepiness would make me take my lo to the emergency room right away. Dehydration is a scary thing if it goes too far. jmo
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    This has been going on for about a week now I think....Baby is 7 momths old-18 lbs. We were jetlagged so I did not realize that she was sleeping more than usual...

She has maybe had total of 5 oz of liquid today and a few spoons of oatmeal. Thats all. How do I know its only 5 oz? Because I weigh her before and after nursing.

Her diaper output has reduced and she is very sleepy. Also her pee smells very bad, strong probably. I realize this can be a dangerous situation. What can I do to make her feel better, she isn't getting enough liquids for sure.

She wont take formula and does not nurse from the bottle. I am at my wits end. I am trying to take fenugreek and mothers milk tea and pump (I got 2 oz after 4 hours of not nursing -she was sleeping and would not dream nurse)

When my supply was good/getting low I was able to get at least 4-7 oz in one pumping. Now its 1-2 oz.
    How is your baby now? I agree with the other posters that you're right about the signs of dehydration. Have you consulted a health care provider since you last posted? If you have not, I urge you to do so now.

Please let us know how things are.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

[QUOTE=@llli*LLLMarianne;630549]How is your baby now?
    The sleeping seems to have reduced. I did not call the doc because I had just seen him on friday for vaccination (delayed 6 month shots) and I am going to see him today for the rest of the shots. Since the situation was about the same on friday and the doc said "she is beeaautiful" I figured he is not going to say anything else.
    Now the diaper output is reduced as far as her normal. Its not extremely low, like no peeing for 5-6 hours.
    I weighed her diaper output and this is what I got (diaper weight not included)
    5:45 am -10:30am 2.1 oz
    10:30 am -12:30 1 oz
    12:30-5:05 pm 1.9 oz
    5:05 pm to 5:45 am (total of 2 diapers ) 7.9 oz

Total urine output = 12.9 oz.

oh and she has not pooed in 3 days. Mainly I think due to being ravenous and fed oatmeal.
    Thankyou all so very much.
    I am taking the more milk plus tincture 2 ml x 4 times daily, its 45% grain alcohol. Isnt that too much alcohol ?!

I am also trying to introduce her a sippy cup (she wont have BM in a cup or anything else) and we fed her EBM with a feeding syringe when we got desperate yesterday. She wont take the sippy cup for nothing, what can I put in it to encourage her ?

I think at 7 months it would be ok to give baby a little bit of water in a sippy cup. She probably won't drink very muck but it may help her get used to a sippy. It's good your seeing your Dr. today.

I don't know very much about supply issues, but is there a chance your pregnant? When I got pregnant my supply dropped drastically.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

>I think at 7 months it would be ok to give baby a little bit of water in a >sippy cup. She probably won't drink very muck but it may help her get used >to a sippy. It's good your seeing your Dr. today.

I have given her water water in a sippy. She does not a) like the water b) the flow c) does not know how to hold the cup

Any ideas on how to get her to accept the sippy ? How long does it take usually for a baby to get the hang of it ?

> I don't know very much about supply issues, but is there a chance your > >pregnant?
    No way! I've not seen any action since I got pregnant with this baby!

I found the Nuby cups to be best for sippy training.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

depending on the baby, sometimes the straw cups (rubbermaid makes them I think and the straw flips up) are easier to use.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet