Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk or Formula?

Default Milk or Formula?

Ok, not sure if this was the proper place to post...sorry!

I actually pray my LO will not wean and we will go on to tandem nurse! I am 18 weeks preg (unexpectedly) and due in May. My DD just turned 9 mos. We started solids slowly at 6mos, but she has taken to them well including eggs, dairy and meat. She was EBF and never took a bottle. We use the sippy cup now...but she is no pro at it.
    My supply is still there, she still has wet diapers...not like before, but she is not dehydrated by any means. We continue to nurse on demand and all night I tried to build up a supply as soon as we found out, I don't have a ton. And because she refused the SNS I waste a lot when I unthaw it for her sippy I am so reluctant to unthaw more and see it go down the drain. I am the only one home with her during the day and she doesn't take BM from her sippy as well for me. She will take water though My mom and DH can get her to take BM, but they are not with her a ton.
    Anyway, as I tap into my supply and see it disappear I know I will have to move on to something else. I really really don't want to give her formula! Can I start her on whole milk. I am reluctant to ask the pedi...they are so about formula anyway
    Can I introduce her to a little whole milk now? Can I add a little to the BM to make the BM supply stretch a little father? She is still continuing to nurse so its not like I would be giving her much...I just hate the thought of formula
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: Milk or Formula?

I can totally understand why you hate the thought of formula! However, I think that if you find you must supplement, formula is better than cow's milk until your baby turns one, at which point you can switch to whole cow's milk. While formula is not equal to breastmilk, it does mimic it a lot more closely than cow's milk.

Can you start putting really small amounts of thawed BM in the sippy? Like less than an oz a time? That way you won't have to pour a whole lot down the sink if your baby takes a sip and then refuses to drink any more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would love to do that, but I wasn't thinking she would resist the sns when I stored it and its in mommy's milk bags anywhere from 3 to 6 ozs. I unthaw the bag in the refridge and it only lasts 24hours, right? So what we don't get to is wasted Any other tips? I was going to try to cut a block of frozen bm with a knife, but not sure if it will just lead to a bigger mess if it doesn't cut well

Any mama's intro whole cow's milk before a year???

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Hey mama,

clean out your PM box.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

In case it helps, you can probably stretch a little past 24 hours if it's securely in the fridge. Probably still better than formula.

Could you cook with the EBM? Make oatmeal, or mix it into other foods. That way she is getting the BM even if she wont drink it.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

At nine months I'd go with formula. The formula manufactures are trying to make milk for human babies, the mother cow is not. I know that there's an issue of too much of something and not enough of other things with cow milk. Like too much salt, not enough fat kind of thing.

Could you put the frozen milk in a bigger bag and break it up like that? Even smashing it with something and then taking out frozen chunks. I imagine that if you only heat up what you need and keep all the rest at a constant temperature it would probably last longer. I'd keep taste testing to be sure though.

I have tried to mix it with other foods. She is not so into begin spoon fed...she likes table foods and doing it all herself. Its hard to mix it with table foods. I am not looking to supplement with formula right now...I am hoping to continue with stictly nursing and giving her the sippy with BM when she'll take it. I am thinking if I still have milk at 18weeks I may possibly end up with milk throughout...at least I have high hopes about it. If anything I think I can get her to at least 11mos or so on what I have stored...in that case I am honestly thinking about whole cow's milk at that time if I have no supply or run out of what is stored. Any thoughts on cow's milk when I put it that way? A good diet and whole milk at 10 or 11 mos??

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Your child is not ready to digest cow's milk until after the 12month point. It's not recommended that you do so by anyone. While formula is dairy based it is NOT the same as whole milk. Which is why it's OK to give baby yogurt and Cheese before the year point but not whole milk.
    I am not thrilled with the idea of your child getting any formula. I sincerely hope you can get your supply to stretch to the year point by combining fresh with frozen.
    BUT in the even you can't, using whole milk instead of formula puts your child at GREATER RISK than formula. Don't risk it Mama.

Way too lazy for formula

My opinion on the matter is formula is is a second class food for human babies and should only be used in situations where BM is not available. However, it is formulated to more closely resemble human milk and is fortified with substances human babies need and cow babies don't. Human babies and cow babies were not meant to eat the same things. Cow's milk is not good for human babies under a year and can often be harmful.

Since OP is obviously soooo anti-formula, any mamas out there know anything about goat milk at 11 months? I know it is better digested than cow but I don' know how much better for such a little one.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.