Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this kind of letdown sound problematic?

Default Does this kind of letdown sound problematic?

Hi ladies!

First of all, let me say I do not think I have too much milk. I have been striving over the last few days to up my supply and get my baby off supplements, which we have done. Although I can't see my milk supply, of course, it does seem to be more. (The reason she was on supplements is that she had not learned to latch and had lost a lot of weight at the beginning. All this then decreased my supply.)

I do have a pretty active letdown, but do not know if it is so much as to be a problem.
    I do not leak now between feedings as I did earlier on, except during the night when there's longer time between feedings. However, the letdown comes early, maybe within a minute of starting the feeding. My one-month-old makes noble efforts to cope with it, swallowing hard to get it down. She's quite good at handling it. Sometimes she does back off though, and I stop the flow with a burp cloth. Occasionally she chokes but not terribly often.

Usually both breasts get stimulated at once; the tingling in the "not in use" breast, and starting to leak, is what alerts me the milk flow is going to speed up in the other one. Yet sometimes the milk that comes out, when I observe it, looks like hindmilk, not the watery foremilk.

Baby often has green stools, more often than yellow ones, but they are not frothy. They're a similar consistency to the yellow ones, maybe a bit drier.

Does this sound like it is a problem? I was also wondering if the stools could be due to dairy in my diet. I don't really want to worry about my letdown, since diaper output and weight gain are good, but should I be worrying? Thank you!

Default Re: Does this kind of letdown sound problematic?

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you think that it's a problem for your little one. If so, you can be a little more proactive about letting the initial letdown flow into a cloth to help her out so she doesn't choke.

An occasional green stool is nothing to be concerned about.

Regular green stools are generally a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Since you're confident that you do not have an oversupply (and since I've been replying to your other thread, I know what you're talking about ), I'm not sure what would be causing the regular green stools.

Regardless of the cause, the important things to look at are your baby's output and her weight. If she is gaining weight adequately, then it doesn't matter if her stool is green, or yellow, or some other color Does she seem happy, alert, thriving? Those are the things to look at.

I hope this helps.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I always found this link helpful. The way you are describing your let-down sounds normal and fine IMO. If wet and poopy diaper out-put is good, then I'd say you don't have to worry.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your help.

After reading some things on this site's resources, I think the description of oversupply might fit what we're experiencing after all. Maybe we increased my milk supply more than we thought; I don't know. I will try the suggestions given and see if it helps. I really want to help my baby with whatever is causing her all-day fussiness and evening colic-like episodes. The actual let-down might not be such a problem to her, but if that is indeed a symptom of the fact that she is filling up on foremilk and not getting enough of the hind, then it's something I need to take notice of. We'll see how it goes.

I'm glad that you are starting to figure things out. I just wanted to chime in and say great job getting your lo off of supplements!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!