Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grrr...starting to hate SNS feeding

Default Grrr...starting to hate SNS feeding

Sorry, I just need to rant. I have just switched to feeding any supplementation using my SNS. Good result is that she's now taking less supplement...BUT I hate using it. Most of the time, she's just not getting anything as the tubing's not quite in her mouth right or it's become clamped again by accident or she pulls the tubing. Then when it does work right, she's so happy that she unlatches to smile at me and we go through the process again. By the time it's right, she falls asleep with exhaustion and then I put her down and she's still hungry. It hours to feed her and she's starting to get frustrated with the it. I wonder whether she's eating less because it's just too much hassle. Also, it means that I can't be away from her for more than 10 min. We can't go out much because I really don't want to use it in public. So here we are stuck and both getting frustrated....I would love to give a bottle right now!

I don't really expect any response but I just wanted a rant.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: Grrr...starting to hate SNS feeding

I was never able to get the hang of the SNS. It's possible to wean off the supplements without it if you really feel that it's causing too much stress on you and the baby. If this is a momentary vent, then ignore me - I am in awe of people who can get the darned thing to work at all!!

Congrats on the decreased supplementation!

elelou,
    I was frustrated when I first started with the SNS. One time I actually threw it on the floor . My LO would get really angry b/c it was too slow as she was used to bottles. Try taping it under your nipple and just keep an eye to make sure it's not clamped. You'll get the hang of it. I also don't think she would fall asleep if she was still hungry. Keep us posted!

I also had horrible times with the SNS where I threw it, etc.. What really helped is using different tape so that the tubes were not sliding everywhere. Use only transpore tape. Not microspore tape which when gets wet, it slides. This will help keep the tube in place and make things easier.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Having vented, I calmed down for the next feed and we both did much better. No bottles for over a week now and it's working! we average 3oz of formula a day now (down from 8oz). It's still a hassle but SNS feeding has really helped us so we'll be sticking with it. Only one problem now...I arranged to go for a Christmas meal with a local mothers group tonight so she'll probably have to have a bottle while I'm out.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elelou View Post
    Having vented, I calmed down for the next feed and we both did much better. No bottles for over a week now and it's working! we average 3oz of formula a day now (down from 8oz). It's still a hassle but SNS feeding has really helped us so we'll be sticking with it.
    That's so fantastic! I admire your perseverance. Good job, Mama!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"