Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 months now, introduced solids...

Default 7 months now, introduced solids...

I give her about 1/4 cup of oatmeal once a day. Problem is my supply seems to have dipped. Actually let me correct that. My supply maybe ok, but my baby does not drain my breasts, she does it on and off and that is messing with the supply.
    How do I keep her at the breast longer ? She is used to my breasts having a lot of milk so she does not like to work to get the milk there is. Am I doomed to pumping to keep an oversupply going so my lazy ass baby can have her milk ?

Default Re: 7 months now, introduced solids...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    I give her about 1/4 cup of oatmeal once a day. Problem is my supply seems to have dipped. Actually let me correct that. My supply maybe ok, but my baby does not drain my breasts, she does it on and off and that is messing with the supply.
    How do I keep her at the breast longer ? She is used to my breasts having a lot of milk so she does not like to work to get the milk there is. Am I doomed to pumping to keep an oversupply going so my lazy ass baby can have her milk ?
    Here's a link to La Leche League's info about offering solid foods FAQ.

One of the recommendations there is to offer solid foods when your baby is not ravenously hungry. The idea is for your baby to continue to receive all nutrition from nursing, with solid foods just for the experience. So, maybe you could play around with the timing of when you nurse and when you offer the oatmeal.

Perhaps one-fourth cup of oatmeal is too much at one time? Just thinking that maybe it fills her up so much that she isn't interested in nursing?

Ah, here's another thought---you say your baby's erratic nursing is affecting your supply and that she doesn't like to nurse if your breasts aren't full. Did I understand that correctly? Well, are you having to pump now in order to get your breasts as full as your baby likes? I'm wondering if things would be okay if you didn't pump; that your baby might not be thrilled at first but she would still get all the nutrition she needs.

Tell us more and I bet some mothers will have some helpful ideas for you.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

>. So, maybe you could play around with the timing of when you nurse and >when you offer the oatmeal.
    I nurse her before we wake up around 7 am and oatmeal around 8.30-9 am.

She is off to sleep with nursing (hardly a couple of minutes) after that. Today she woke up at 1 pm and nursed for a bit, a few minutes again (there was not much milk). She kept trying to nurse and then giving up frustrated after a couple of sucks. I pumped after that thinking I need to give her something like maybe oatmeal with my milk. I got slightly less than 2 ounces. She would not touch the oatmeal with my milk.

My goal was to give her 1/4 cup of oatmeal, may be less most of the time...

> Well, are you having to pump now in order to get your breasts as full as >your baby likes? I'm wondering if things would be okay if you didn't pump; >that your baby might not be thrilled at first but she would still get all the >nutrition she needs.

I am going to START pumping. My milk supply really had reduced drastically. I have been under tremendous stress lately (my mother passed away and I was away for 2 months sorting out her affairs and just got back)

I feel terrible because the poor baby looks terribly happy when I offer her my breasts (grins and lunges )and then after she tries to nurse looks so sad and angry.

I always found that feeding DS solids in the morning caused my supply to go down. I actually have sign inside the fridge for my family members:"do not feed baby solids in the morning. thanks. the breasts." Evening solids seem to work better for us. Stress can totally cause your milk supply to go down, although its usually a temporary problem. Pumping should help bring your supply back up. There's other things you can do as well, herbs, medications...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

Also, remember babies at 7 months are distractable. I find DS won't eat or won't eat well in the traditional cradle position, even though he's clearly hungry. It has to by lying down on the bed with the door shut and the lights low. And oh yeah, he has to be wrapped in a blanket.

...And I'm sorry about your mom.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 13th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

She has maybe had total of 5 oz of liquid today and a few spoons of oatmeal. Thats all. How do I know its only 5 oz? Because I weigh her before and after.

Her diaper output has reduced and she is very sleepy. Also her pee smells very bad, strong probably. I realize this can be a dangerous situation. What can I do to make her feel better, she isn't getting enough liquids for sure.

She wont take formula and does not nurse from the bottle. I am at my wits end. I am trying to take fenugreek and mothers milk tea and pump (I got 2 oz after 4 hours of not nursing -she was sleeping and would not dream nurse)

When my supply was good/getting low I was able to get at least 4-7 oz in one pumping. Now its 2 oz.
    I will also start a new thread with this ...