Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gripe water?

Default gripe water?

hello.. i'm looking for any feedback about gripe water..anyone used it, know whether it's safe, etc?

my 5 week old has been tentatively diagnosed w/ reflux..she has been getting fussy at the breast, hiccuping after almost every feeding, crying and grimacing when trying to sleep, UNABLE to sleep/stay asleep, etc.. her ped started us on mylanta yesterday.

we also bought baby's bliss brand gripe water and used it last night..she slept 3 hrs, woke to feed, slept another 3.5, woke to feed, and is currently working on another 2hrs of sleep.. OMG. she hasn't slept for more than 45 min at a time in almost a week.

i'm sort of unsure about the gripe water b/c i see it has a little sodium bicarbonate in it, and i want to be sure it's okay to take it with the mylanta. i'm having a hard time getting a pharm or dr. to "okay" the gripe water since it's homeopathic and therefore not FDA-approved.

anyone??

Default Re: gripe water?

Gripe water never worked for my son's reflux--it actually made it worse. So we stopped using it. I'm sure some other moms have had different experiences with it.

If you scroll down the page on this link there is some info on gripe water. It's not much but I hope you can find something that helps.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

thanks for the link! i've read a lot of stuff online from mothers who swear by gripe water.. and i know that like just about every other type of "remedy", it will work for some babies, but not all. we are at our wits end with her, she is SO uncomfortable when we try to get her to sleep..it's miserable for us all..

giving it along with the mylanta is kind of making me nervous..we've got another bottle of the gripe water coming in the mail that does not contain sodium bicarbonate, but in the meanwhile i would like to continue using this kind that we do have now, since she slept so good last night..

edit: kellymom does not appear to be a fan of the gripe water.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    thanks for the link! i've read a lot of stuff online from mothers who swear by gripe water.. and i know that like just about every other type of "remedy", it will work for some babies, but not all. we are at our wits end with her, she is SO uncomfortable when we try to get her to sleep..it's miserable for us all..

giving it along with the mylanta is kind of making me nervous..we've got another bottle of the gripe water coming in the mail that does not contain sodium bicarbonate, but in the meanwhile i would like to continue using this kind that we do have now, since she slept so good last night..

edit: kellymom does not appear to be a fan of the gripe water.. lol
    They sure don't.

We used mylicon every once in a while when dd was really small. I'm not sure if that has sodium bicarbonate in it though. You can get it at target.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I also tried gripe water with my daughter and didn't feel like it did anything. She was extremely colicky and had reflux as well. I also used the Baby Bliss brand and immediately stopped using it when I found out that it had been recalled by the FDA due to a parasite that was found in it.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01707.html

Gripe water was not a help for me. My DD was wonderful until 2 mths old and then she started crying from gas alot. I tried the gripe water from the herb shop (later I saw it at Kroger) and it did not help her.

She is really gassy now (5 months old). I just have learned to deal with the crying and nursing her on her side aways seems to allow her to pass it.

She has gas ever day so I have stopped trying to find out what is causing it in my diet.

Gripe water was a staple in our home for many months!

We tried Baby's Bliss and also Wellements. I personally like the Wellements better. It's organic, not as thick, and it's salty, unlike the overwhelmingly sweet Baby's Bliss.

There is also one brand of Gripe Water that is FDA approved. Is it Colic Calm? I dont' remember. JUst search for FDA approved gripe water. You'll find it.

Oh. Now we use Colic Tabs from Hylands. Same company that makes Teething Tabs. They work well. Even for me!

We used Gripe Water and it worked really well on our daughter. I live in Canada so our brands are different but it was just a generic drug store type. I say if it works, give it a go! I think sometimes when your kids get older you forget how much they cry due to the gas and I remember at that time thinking "JUST GIVE HER ANYTHING!!!" lol. We also used what is called up here as "InFacol" which I knew had more medicinal ingredients with it so we only used it on a very seldom occasion but the gripe water for the most part seems to be harmless. Our doctor told us that it's really safe as long as you stick to the recommended doses.

My hubby even now jokingly will ask if we have any gripe water when my daughter throws a tantrum and won't stop crying, too bad they don't have gripe water for tantrums cause I am sure we would use it
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommypockets View Post
    Gripe water was a staple in our home for many months!

We tried Baby's Bliss and also Wellements. I personally like the Wellements better. It's organic, not as thick, and it's salty, unlike the overwhelmingly sweet Baby's Bliss.

There is also one brand of Gripe Water that is FDA approved. Is it Colic Calm? I dont' remember. JUst search for FDA approved gripe water. You'll find it.

Oh. Now we use Colic Tabs from Hylands. Same company that makes Teething Tabs. They work well. Even for me!
    yeah, the FDA-approved version is colic calm. we got some, and i gotta say, it's kind of disturbing to me b/c it is INK BLACK. her little mouth gets all black when we give it to her, and her poopies turn blackish as well. colic calm has vegetable charcoal in it, which passes through the digestive system (harmlessly), and well...what goes in must come out, i know, but still.. oh and also it stains (we already had a carpet mishap, now we will only give it to her in rooms w/ hardwood floors).